Thursday 7 March 2024

Sepia Saturday 714 : Saturday 9th March 2024

I'm convinced these Sepia Saturday prompts get easier as time goes on. Back in the old days - and let's face it, Sepia Saturday has been going on almost as long as computers have - themes were challenging affairs such as  hats, streets, horses, and bridges. These days, however, they are all a little too simple and anyone with a half-decent collection of old photos can easily come up with a match. This week - Sepia Saturday 714, post your posts on or around Saturday 9th March 2024 - all you need to do is to come up with a match for two men sticking dead worms on bits of old rope! Easy Peasy. Post whatever you come up with (and I mean post in an electronic sense, I am not suggesting for a moment that you send dead worms through your national postal service) and add a link to the list below. Here are the rest of March's "Going To Work" prompts and a first look at our monthly theme for April 2024.







8 comments:

ScotSue said...

Take a look at the highs and lows of men at work - from steeplejacks to my cousin's father emerging from a manhole - plus men simply taking a break from work.

La Nightingail said...

So today's post is about maintaining things & fixing things. I'm not sure how, exactly, that matches with putting worms on ropes, but it must fit in there somewhere? :)

Susan said...

Nightingale, you sure started working young.

;-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Continuing with the postcard view of early Black Mountain NC, I go looking at the homes that are now situated so they could have been in the original photo, but who knows!

Mike Brubaker said...

I can only match a theme of a pair of men in hats. Musical, of course.

Monica T. said...

I decided to go with the pipe, and smoking... :)

ScotSue said...

Monica - I am still having problems “signing in with Google” . You certainly had an eagle eye on this week’s prompt image. I never even spotted the fact the men were smoking. I too remember watching with fascination my grandfather smoking a pipe and my uncle rolling his own cigarettes. Cigarettes, cigars, tobacco, cigarette cases were such popular gifts at one stage, especially when sent with comfort parcels to soldiers serving abroad. I have photographs of my father smoking, but he stopped very suddenly and totally on the death of his sister in law from lung cancer. Now I know of no-one who smokes. Thank

ScotSue said...

Gail - I am still having problems “signing up to Google” on your post, so comments here. Again you have come up trumps with your original “take”on the prompt image. I had to smile at your many photographs of your childhood work. How long did your spotless white shoes and socks stay white when you were digging that bed of soil.I have never seen before that early washing machine. I remember though sometimes helping my mother “feeding” sheets through our mangle - certainly not electric but it did get rid of some of the water, before she hung them outside on the line to dry.