Thursday 11 January 2024

Sepia Saturday 706 : Saturday 13 January 2024

 


There was something very evocative about good, old-fashioned jukeboxes that can never be replaced by a streaming service. It was the very size and scale of them, all that glass and polished metal, the mechanical clankiness as the arm swung over and the disc fell into place .... ahh, the memories. And memories are what we are all about here on Sepia Saturday and this month we are listening to as well as looking at the sound of music. Let us have your visual memories on this theme (or any theme your care to select - just press the key and select the appropriate button) on or around Saturday 13th January 2024 and add a link to the list below. 




6 comments:

La Nightingail said...

The sounds of music are everywhere even if you wouldn't ordinarily think of them as music. :)

Barbara Rogers said...

I did more research about a musical ancestor from Texas...sort of on theme. She taught music to hundreds of young people with her "Music Room" of 7 pianos going at once...and of course concerts for the community of Mexia, Texas, until her death in 1922. Oh, and she was blind for at least the last 20 years of her life.

ScotSue said...

The 1950s and 60s musical scene of juke boxes and transistor radions (as in the prompt images) largely passed me by, so I take a look here at my early musical memories from infant school onwards, particularly around Christmas.

Monica T. said...

I searched my albums for pianos (and an organ) I remember from my childhood, but only found two of them.

Mike Brubaker said...

I'm very late. Why don't we name this club Sepia Sunday? I was delayed because I changed my planned post for a set of postcards that fit this theme exactly. It's a long but I think entertaining story with lots of history about an unusual instrument.

ScotSue said...

To Monica- I enjoyed reading your childhood memories of your family Pianos. I learnt on an old piano, that had come to us from my grandfather’s house - brown with candlestick holders on each side of the music holder. I never saw it with actual lit candles- and sadly no photograph exists of it.