Tuesday 28 February 2012

Sepia Saturday 115 : Games


Taking the theme suggestions submitted a few weeks ago, the next in order should be my own of midget submarines. I thought it might be wise to put that off for a while, so I have jumped forward to one of the suggestions from SOUTHWEST ARKIE of COLOURING OUTSIDE THE LINES. She includes "Games (board or physical)" among her list of suggestions and that seems like a fascinating challenge for all those people who like to follow a theme. My archive illustration comes from the Flickr Commons Collection of Cornell University Library and features a 1904 postcard illustration of Korean Women playing the board-game Go. As always, you are free to interpret the theme as you like and you are also free to totally ignore it if you want. Just post your post on or around Saturday 3 March 2012, add it to the list below, and if you can find your way around the ridiculous word verification system, leave a comment below to let us know you are in the game.

I am off on holiday next weekend and this means that although I might get a post up, I won't get chance to get around and visit other participants. This also means that I will not be around to put up the call for Sepia Saturday 116 so I am attempting to schedule it to automatically appear next Monday. If it appears too soon just ignore it, if it doesn't appear on time ... use your own initiative. I think I have found a way of getting a report-back next week : Sepia Saturday is certainly an amazing world-wide network.



28 comments:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Well, I don't know what I will come up with this week, or if it will be on theme, but I DO have a photo of me at the marine and science center in front of a midget submarine that I can easily turn into sepia when the time comes, lol. Have a great holiday!

Kathy M.

Wendy said...

Oh I have games -- board AND physical. I also have Korean STUFF out the wazoo if I decide to thoroughly monopolize Sepia Saturday. I won't -- I promise!

L. D. said...

I seem to be behind on the themes but I am working them the best that I can.

Postcardy said...

My game has both board and physical aspects and is played in a warm sunny winter climate (unlike the weather here).

Jinksy said...

Somehow I'm late for the last one, or early for the next one, so here I am anyway! LOL

Bob Scotney said...

This days so many games are played on computers that I was relieved to find some board games tucked away.

Alan Burnett said...

A bit of a flying visit from me this week. Happy Sepia Saturday to everyone : I'm off now to pack my case.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

I wish you a relaxing holiday Alan; I could not find any "old" gamblers so I had to post some young ones.

Kristin said...

A family poker game - 1962.

tony said...

FOOTBALL!

dakotaboo said...

Have a wonderful winter break Alan. My submission for the week is now posted.

Julie Goucher said...

Have a great Break. Here is this week's offering.
http://anglersrest.blogspot.com/2012/03/sepia-saturday-115-games.html

Who Were They? said...

I couldn't come up with any games, but I do have some nice photos of Asian children - hand tinted no less.

I find it interesting that the prompt photo says "Corean" not with a K. Wonder if that was due to the lack of consistency in spelling or just the person didn't know how to spell Korean. :-)

Little Nell said...

The memories just came flooding back - my parents’ that is, when I asked them to talk about games and toys in a 1999 recording I made.

Joy said...

Well I've gone for an active game rather than the cerebral.
Have a great holiday Alan.

Mike Brubaker said...

No games or Koreans or smokers for me. I could only pick up the Ladies theme, but I think everyone will enjoy it.

21 Wits said...

So Games it is I guess! Will it be checkers or not? I can't wait to get into the game.....and see what everyone has come up with!

Bruno Laliberté said...

I'm in!!
In a convoluted journey,
I manage to [eventually] speak of games...

You know how I get,
sometimes...
;)~
HUGZ

Queen Bee said...

I'm new to Sepia Saturday and had fun looking for game related pictures. Look forward to checking out what everyone found for this week.

Linda said...

Some vintage games, scraps and of course, cut-outs.

Steph said...

This one was HARD... so today AND tomorrow's posts have a sporting theme! (Sunday's post is rather unusual...)

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

My post tells of a different sort of game. I suppose it could get physical though....

have a great break. I'm about to go away for two weeks so I'm not sure that I'll be able to participate for a while.

Jo Graham said...

Fun and games with Granny again this week :-) Enjoy your hol, Alan!

Linda@VS said...

My "game" photo is a mere 60 years old, so it isn't sepia, but at least it fits the theme. Count me in.

Wibbo said...

Slightly tongue in cheek this week :o)

Howard said...

Not on-topic again this week, but my postcard does show some children playing

Margaret said...

I've been wanting to join Sepia Saturday for a while. My first post this week is of my grandfather and his brother playing baseball.

Unknown said...

Late again today but took a while to look up something. Nothing too old today. We are a creative bunch and that is good.
QMM