Wednesday 24 August 2011

Sepia Saturday 89 : Saturday 27 August 2011


The title of this image, which comes from the Flickr collection of the State Library of New South Wales, is "Depression Bread Wars, Corner Shop on Bourke and Fitzroy Streets, Surry Hills, Sydney, 21 August 1934. The photograph was taken by Sam Hood and what I love about it is the mass of information it contains. It is one of those photographs you can almost read like a book : moving from highlight to highlight piecing together a plot, a story, or in this case something of a tragedy. It is also one of those images that gives wide scope to the Sepia Saturday Themers :it is almost impossible to find whatever theme you want within the mass of prompts contained here. So, once again, I invite you to choose an old image and tell a story. The story can be as short as a sentence or as long as a lifetime, it can be fact or fiction, happy or sad. Your choice. Our reading pleasure. Just post it on your blog on or around Saturday 27th August 2011 and link to it using the Linky List below.
SEPIA SATURDAY is a weekly meme which encourages bloggers to publish and share old images and photographs. All that is required is for contributors to post an old image (it doesn't have to be in sepia) and provide a few words in explanation. If you could provide a link back to the Sepia Saturday Blog and visit as many of the other contributors as you can, it would also be appreciated. There is no weekly theme, as such, but some people like to use the archive image published with the weekly call as a kind of theme. There is no requirement to adopt such an approach : the choice of image is entirely up to you. Once you have published your Sepia Saturday post, add a link to that post to the Linky List published each week and leave a comment to let everyone know you are joining in.

29 comments:

Unknown said...

Australia! I've got one from Sydney and one from Queensland. Coincidentally I am currently in a small village in the Czech Republic, attending the wedding of a chap from Queensland to the Czech woman he met in Sydney. Perfect!

Brett Payne said...

I don't know what's more depressing, that image or this, taken 67 years later. I suppose one should be thankful the building's survived. My contribution to follow soon

Tattered and Lost said...

Originally I actually had a nice photo showing billboards on a busy street probably taken in the teens. I changed my mind and went with Alan's line about the photo reading like a book. I think you'll find my post right up there with the top mystery stories.

dakotaboo said...

This is quite a grim looking picture, although full of history. I'm not theming this week, but my submission is now up.

Little Nell said...

I discovered there’s a ‘selling gene’ in my family - at least three shopkeepers, and a few recently unearthed sepia treasures. Some photo-sleuthing (though not up to Brett’s standard) and childhood anecdotes complete the story.

Anonymous said...

Mine is more on the fun and silly side with some business fronts to see along the way.

Postcardy said...

I have an unusual roadside store.

Alan Burnett said...

Working may way through the Family Stash. Now I discover we were in Bridlington in 1950 and not New Brighton.

Howard said...

I have an old-fashioned corner shop from 1935 this week.

Bob Scotney said...

A 'prize' at the end. A few shops from here and there (down under).

DougVernX said...

That's a very busy photo you posted here Alan. I loved zooming in to read all the signage. She even has some adverts written on the sidewalk outside. My post is very "busy" as well with lots of different thing to peruse. Enjoy!

tony said...

Apologies......I have not been commenting this week.I will get my act together tomorrow!

Christine H. said...

I'm back after a brief hiatus...with shop of a different kind.

Anonymous said...

I had a great photo but already posted it in a SS past, so this week I've got an old service station from possibly the 1930s. I'd love input on the cars. Looking forward to the other posts!

Kristin said...

I identify some more mystery photographs and tie it all in to Victor Tulane's grocery store in Montgomery Alabama.

Bruno Laliberté said...

sort of a themer, with a moderately sized post, for a change!!
:)~
HUGZ

Martin said...

Not exactly on theme, I'm afraid, but one I had to post.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

What a great photo! It certainly does tell a story. This week, I compiled several sepia posts that I haven't shared with you guys yet (they were made before I knew about Sepia Saturday).

Have a wonderful weekend,

Kathy M.

Anonymous said...

I love the images you give for prompts! Beautiful! Very inspiring!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Don't you just love that type of shop? Open All Hours!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photo, Alan - so many details to examine! I've gone off on my own again with more of my Granny's album and her bad behaviour ;-) Jo

Mike Brubaker said...

Gosh this is becoming more Sepia Wednesday then Saturday!

It was a challenge to find something on this week's theme, but I found a photo for "standing in the doorway" and who knows, maybe part of the great 19th century long depression too.

Caroline said...

What a good idea. This is my first time participating. But its fun to see what everyone posts, and has to write :)

Bob Scotney said...

@Caroline, your blog will not let me in. It says I have to be invited. Unfortunately I can't see or comment on your post.

Anonymous said...

@Caroline, me too, as Bob says we can't access your post.

WyomingDiva said...

I am always amazed at what thoughts and poetry emerge from these photo prompts. Thanks!

Caroline said...

Thank you for letting me know. It's fixed now.

GadgetSponge.com said...

It's a great photo you have featured there because it definitely makes you stop in your tracks and take it all in. Thanks for sharing and hosting again this week. It was my first participation of many to come.

Karen S. said...

This comment for JJ - (not sure why it wouldn't let me comment on SS especially since we follow each other, and I never had trouble before, Blogger sometimes Grrr!) Oh JJ this SS post is cool. When I saw JJ on the list at Sepia Saturday I thought...hooray he's going to share some of his own family's old photos! I had no idea who all your relatives are! LOL Very cool! I sure hope to see more here too!