Wednesday 24 February 2016

Sepia Saturday 319 : 27 February 2016


As I have spent the last four weeks drowning in a continual cycle of domestic drudgery - endless mopping, washing and the occasional ironing - following our bizarre decision to acquire a puppy when we were both in our nineties (that may be a slight exaggeration, but believe me that is how old I feel at the moment), it is eminently suitable that our Sepia Saturday theme image this week celebrates  those domestic skills that made our forebears such fine upstanding figures. Come to think of it, given the amount of starch that was used in domestic laundry, no wonder they all exhibited a stiff upper lip.

The photograph - which is suitably given the crisp, clean, no-nonsense title of "Ironing, 1951" - comes from the photographic archives of the Mennonite Church USA which are available via the Flickr Commons initiative. All you need to do is to identify one of your own images that may or may not have some kind of well-ironed link to the theme image and say a few words about it. Post your posts on or around Saturday 27th February 2016 and then add a link to the list below.

Whilst you are waiting for your inspirational iron to get hot, you might want to take a look at what is in the sepia laundry basket awaiting your attention in the next couple of weeks. And if that is not enough for you, all the theme images up to the end of June 2016 are now available in the post which is featured in the sidebar.


But now it is time to strike whilst the iron is hot. It is time to join in with Sepia Saturday 319.





15 comments:

ScotSue said...

Nothing remotely related features in my family collection - no indoor shots, no women at work, no ironing boards, no overalls. no hairnets. So instead I turned to the collection of my local heritage group - Auld Earlston for the theme of Women's Worktime Fashions.

kathy said...

A tragedy in the family involving a gas iron.

Little Nell said...

I’m sneaking in a Late Extra for a SS of two weeks ago. I’ll post a short one on theme for this week’s later.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

My mother didn't like to have her picture taken at work, so I had to resort to one of me laboring as a child.

La Nightingail said...

Ironing boards come in all models & sizes & can be used in many different ways.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

A sadiron has nothing to do with a sad iron.

Barbara Rogers said...

Some of my life history, pretty beaches and our neighborhood for a while.

Postcardy said...

I have vintage postcards of laundry scenes and methods.

Little Nell said...

Wallow in nostalgia and return your childhood.

Mike Brubaker said...

I have no ladies with irons, but I do have lots of ladies with brass. Musical as usual.

DougVernX said...

No link to the theme this week, but I have a post about an old swimming hole.

Anonymous said...

I might get asked to pack up my bags and leave this week as I have written a blog post with Sepia Saturday being the only image.
.

Anonymous said...

No image this week instead thoughts on image theft.

Unknown said...

A-tisket a-tasket, a green and yellow basket. Well, maybe not green and yellow, but plenty of baskets.

21 Wits said...

A kind of tribute to women from me!