Tuesday 8 October 2013

Sepia Saturday 198 : 12 October 2013


It is 100 years since HMS Queen Elizabeth was launched at Portsmouth. Whilst this is not the Queen Elizabeth, it matters not, because in Sepia Saturday 198 we celebrate the start of something new. It might be a life, it might be a love, it might be a a new chicken coop or it might be a mighty ocean liner. In the case of our current photograph it was HMAS Albatross the Royal Australian Navy's first seaplane carrier which was launched in February 1928 at Cockatoo Island Dockyard in Sydney. The photograph, which was taken by Sam Hood (1872-1953) and forms part of the Australian National Maritime Museum's stream on Flickr Commons. If you have a picture of a launch of a battleship in your collection, feel free to share it, but a photograph of anything new, anything beginning or anything that floats on water will do. Simply post your post on or around Saturday 12 October 2013 and add a link to the list below.

On a personal note, can I thank everyone for being so understanding during my low profile over recent weeks (and a special thank you to Marilyn for keeping things going so well). I have now had my hand operation and I am able to free myself of the annoying splint for longer periods of time. Hopefully I can join in fully with Sepia Saturday this week. And I can start planning for the big anniversary we have just around the corner. For those who also like to plan ahead, here is a preview of the next two Sepia Saturday calls.


199 : For Sepia Saturday 199 we celebrate acting and theatre. And dressing up, and silly hats, and daft trousers, and fire escapes, and - anything else you fancy.


200 : Here it is Sepia Saturday 200. Our prompt looks back at some of the Sepia prompts we have had in the previous 200 weeks. It provides you with an opportunity to revisit your favourite Sepia Saturday contribution.


Before you start thinking about future Sepia Saturday posts, make a start on your contribution for Sepia Saturday 198. Start at the beginning, launch your ideas and commence your post.

21 comments:

Postcardy said...

I have old postcards of a Navy shipyard.

ScotSue said...

With tales of ships, signs, shanties and sea poems.

Howard said...

My post is a barge in a lock on the Grand Union Canal.

Rosie said...

There can be more than one reason for a steamboat besides hauling lumber...

Little Nell said...

Something quite different from me this week. I meet Photo Sleuth in person and in a place steeped in history.

Kristin said...

Both of my grandfather's worked for short times on Great Lakes steamers. Some photos, some bits from letters.

Jackie van Bergen said...

It's International Fleet Review time here in Sydney, so I've found some photos of my great uncle and 'his ship' HMAS Australia - one of the first RAN ships into Sydney Harbour back in 1913.

Hazel said...

I was a newlywed exploring an aircraft launcher.

Wendy said...

My grandaunt documented the construction of her home in the 1930s.

diane b said...

I'm taking you back a few years to when I wrote the story of our migration to Australia and a new life. We sailed on the Georgic sister ship to the Titanic.

Bob Scotney said...

Did anyone's family travel on SS Great Britain to Australia?

Anonymous said...

I have a boat as an afterthought. I went for new beginnings.

Mike Brubaker said...

Far from the sea, I used only the month as a theme for my post. But there is beer! Prost!

Éire Historian said...

Thanks for the inspiration! My post won't be up until Saturday, but the ship in it has a very special connection to my family.

Cheers,
Jennifer

DougVernX said...

I have a misplaced sailing trophy. Great stuff! :)

Bruno Laliberté said...

I got boats for you alright,
and some news update...
and a music video!!
:)~
HUGZ

Alex Daw said...

Oh dear..that took forever and I fear won't be very interesting this week...sigh.

Anonymous said...

Taking that small step from the land of Scotland onto the deck of a ship leads to a new start in Australia

Barbara Rogers said...

Sorry, not on topic at all...it's the birthday of one of my ancestors/family members, so I'm honoring him instead. Please forgive!

Boobook said...

Very late this week but I got there in the end.

Anne Young said...

very very late posting