Monday 22 July 2013

Sepia Saturday 187 : 27 July 2013


What is precious, tattered, torn and handed down? To so many of us Sepians, the answer is photographs - family photographs passed on from generation to generation are the currency of Sepia Saturday. But occasionally other things are handed down - and in so many cases it is the family bible that becomes the linchpin of family history. So for Sepia Saturday 187 (post your posts on or around Saturday 27 July 2013) we focus our attention on family bibles. But in the best traditions of Sepia Saturday themes, you can interpret the theme in any way you want : books, lettering, printing, hand-me-downs  ... they all fall within our theme this week. Our theme image was specially created from a collage of family bible pictures provided by seasoned Sepians Kathy and Martha and stitched together by Marilyn.

But before you start your bible studies, here is a quick preview of what is in store for Sepia Saturday for the next couple of weeks.


188 : A tall ship, a small lighthouse, and a windmill feature in this 1900-ish photograph of Littlehampton. But there are also cycles, ladies with hats and men with caps.


189 : This picture  is entitled "What an amazing contraption!". For SS189 we are asking you to feature pictures of amazing contraptions of all sorts, shapes and sizes. Interpret this as you like.

But for now let us concentrate on Sepia Saturday 187. So open your books and start at the beginning.


28 comments:

dakotaboo said...

Nothing biblical I'm afraid, but I did manage to stay on the theological topic.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

I was going to write about tatters but got all wrapped up in the margins.

ScotSue said...

Scribbles in family bibles is my spot on theme this week.

Anonymous said...

I'm super early and have some images of the bible as well as the first owners of it

Postcardy said...

I have a Gutenberg Press exhibit.

Brett Payne said...

Albums and ephemera for me this week.

Bob Scotney said...

Just some old pots that have to be washed by hand - dishwashers not allowed.

lazycoffees said...

Just joined with a post about a book given as a gift.

Little Nell said...

No Bible, but some interesting written notes in an old autograph book.

Mike Brubaker said...

Again it is serendipity that this weekend's Sepia theme suits a postcard set that I just completed a few weeks ago.

boundforoz said...

As a new contributor i seem to have made a bit of a mess of my first entry. I hope all goes well now.

Wendy said...

First it was the parasol and now an autograph book -- Marilyn and I are in sync again.

Lovely's Blot said...

I'm back! And I have a story about our family bible, even if I don't have a picture of it.

Unknown said...

Just gave the old family bible to my brother (he's a churchgoer...); then posted this to LAST week's SS! That's the kind of day it's been...

DougVernX said...

My post is posted of postcard of post office. (It's a bit off the post prompt):)

Kristin said...

My father's book "The Bible In Art" features in this weeks post.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Before, there were books...

Éire Historian said...

Not a bible, but a remarkable book of poetry written by a family member.

Alan Burnett said...

On time, on theme, on a twig from the family tree drifting down the stream of life

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

I have an old family Bible with three generations of signatures.

Alex Daw said...

Home and away - travel diaries...

Boobook said...

Birthday Books rather than Family Bibles.

Hazel said...

This week's theme reminds me of a concordance bible at home that would have protested all the scribbles, folds and markings if it could speak.

diane b said...

I have old books with astounding old ideas.

Jackie van Bergen said...

Just scraped in this week with some inscription pages from great grandmother's books.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

A well-timed topic for me. Thanks :-)

Monica T. said...

A well-times topic for me too! Almost missed it because I've not been on the computer much the last couple of weeks. But when I saw what it was about Family Bibles I decided just had to put in a post, even if a little late!

Kathy said...

I've had trouble pulling something together, but I hope you will visit one of several recent posts I have written about a family Bible.