Monday 25 June 2012

Sepia Saturday 132 : 30 June 2012

I think I’m getting the hang of this now. The image I’ve chosen for this week is from 1971:  ‘View of Dinah Shore and Burt Bacharach playing tennis - Fort Lauderdale, Florida'. Wimbledon Fortnight has just started today in England so this seemed an appropriate time to post this picture, which comes from the State Library and Archives of Florida, via the generosity of flickr commons. The photographer was Roy Erickson, a professional photographer in the Fort Lauderdale area at that time.

I hope this gives the themers amongst us enough to choose from. If you don’t like the tennis connection (or any sport), how about ‘celebrities’ or even Florida? Of course, you can just choose any image or images as long as they are ‘historical’ as Alan says in the little box on the right.

When you’re ready to join in don’t forget to add your name to Mr Linky below and paste in the URL of your Sepia Saturday post (not your blog) so that we know where to find you when we come calling. Then, after linking,  leave a comment please.Try to visit as many other SS participants as you can during the following week (if you can tear yourself away from Wimbledon coverage) as we all like encouragement. We’ve acquired some new members recently (Alan will be pleased) so a warm welcome and please read the manifesto if you haven’t already. We’ve also had some returners so welcome back; you were missed.

For the benefit of new members can I put in a plug for our Sepia Saturday Facebook page? Alan puts the weekly call on there and it’s also a great place to share some smaller sepia moments. It’s a kind of Sepia Saturday overspill, and we have members on there who don’t participate on this meme, so you could be missing out on some fun. Do join us.

Best Wishes
Marilyn

Here’s a mini-banner for you to add to your post when you link back to Sepia Saturday. Spread the word.
Now, please look away if you’d rather have a surprise over the next couple of weeks. If you want to know what I’ve chosen for SS 133 and SS 134, here they are reproduced below, so that you can start rummaging in your archives.

31 comments:

Little Nell said...

I’m bored with Wimbledon already!

Bob Scotney said...

Try playing tennis with these four - for a month.

Postcardy said...

My post is more or less (really less) tennis related.

Kristin said...

FIFTH! whew!! Hopefully I will get around to everybody this week. Post of my uncle dressed up and playing tennis in the alley.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hello, Friends! I just couldn't get going this week. I have posted vintage postcards of St. Louis, MO. and I think that I will leave it at that. We may finally be able to go camping this weekend, so I may be a bit late with some of my visits. Can't wait to see all of your tennis stories!

Kathy M.

Wendy said...

Not very sepia, but a couple amusing stories about my dad ~

Sharon said...

There were lots of tennis photos in my albums so I found it easy this week but think I will struggle next week.

Anonymous said...

I went with a celebrity look alike but no tennis

Anonymous said...

I went with a celebrity look alike but no tennis

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Hi Marylin, thank you for this theme. I guess tennis is very popular and everybody as something to show or say about it. I loved a good game of tennis so I called on a former famous Australian tennisplayer.

Unknown said...

Well I don't have tennis but croquet on the lawn with all the family taking part.
QMM

Tattered and Lost said...

Only able to post, but not visit. Bandwidth issues continue to plague me.

Martin said...

Oops! Forgot to leave a comment. It's been a long time.

DougVernX said...

Hope you all are enjoying your summer (or winter) My post has nothing to do with tennis, or any other thing in the theme photo. It is a bit historical I think.

Bruno Laliberté said...

Almost came up empty handed but found something, as a last resort... The vid largely compensates!! One of my shortest post, assuredly.
:)~
HUGZ

dakotaboo said...

Unfortunately I have not managed to stay on theme this week as the only item I had which fitted the theme I have already blogged in 2010 (I have shared the link in the post though). Instead I'm taking a sepia trip to Royal Leamington Spa in Warwickshire.

Dianne Reuby said...

Some wonderful pictures -wish I'd found you all sooner! Burt Bacharach doesn't look anything like I remember!

Mike Brubaker said...

The sport of tennis does not usually have any bands in the grandstand, and I don't have anything for pop composers either, but I do have Men in White.

Wibbo said...

My photo this week portrays tennis from a more civilised era ;o)

Linda said...

Love all, on the court and off.

Teresa Wilson Rogers said...

Love, set, match - here I am!

Anonymous said...

I've gone my own way this week - I bought a Carte de Visite on Ebay and was too excited about it not to share it :-)

savethephotos said...

No tennis but more lost folks needing finding!

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed! This could be the start of something else to keep me over-occupied!

Kathy said...

My first time to do this.... I went with a celebrities in the 70s theme.

Queen Bee said...

Women in tennis: 1910 to today.

Jana Iverson Last said...

My post is sports related...a vintage postcard of The Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA.

Susan said...

Dinah and Burt still evoke coolness.

Carte Postale said...

Had to go with another old favorite outdoor sport as I have no tennis pics...climbing in the 1930s!

Jinksy said...

No connection but Sepia, for me today!

21 Wits said...

Wow Marilyn, I don't think I've ever been this late to the Sepia party...but we are half celebrating the 4th early with family, as many only have Wednesday off and must return back to work on Thursday! I have lots to catch up with here! I can't wait to see what everyone has served!