Tuesday 26 July 2011

Sepia Saturday 85 : Saturday 30th July 2011


A random dip into the on-line photographic archives brought up this rather nice picture entitled "Woman Sitting On Bumper Bar of Car At Warwick Farm Racecourse". Ah for the days when cars had proper bumpers : if you tried that today you would soon have grass on the back of your dress. It would appear that the picture was taken in 1934, probably by Tom Lennon, and comes from the digital collection of the Powerhouse Museum in Sidney. Sepia Saturday 85 will take place on or around Saturday 30th July 2011. Everybody is welcome - let's hope we have a bumper bundle.
SEPIA SATURDAY is a weekly meme which encourages bloggers to publish and share old images and photographs. All that is required is for contributors to post an old image (it doesn't have to be in sepia) and provide a few words in explanation. If you could provide a link back to the Sepia Saturday Blog and visit as many of the other contributors as you can, it would also be appreciated. There is no weekly theme, as such, but some people like to use the archive image published with the weekly call as a kind of theme. There is no requirement to adopt such an approach : the choice of image is entirely up to you. Once you have published your Sepia Saturday post, add a link to that post to the Linky List published each week and leave a comment to let everyone know you are joining in.

25 comments:

Bruno Laliberté said...

and so far, i expect i'll be a themer, with photographs of my own!!
:)~
HUGZ

Kristin said...

That is a great photo to theme.

Ted said...

A Furlong Too Short

http://8thavesouth.blogspot.com/2011/07/furlong-too-short.html

Thanks

Ted

Postcardy said...

I have a group of women posed with a car in 1934.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Cool! Sorry that I have been away for so long. I posted several family photos of us by cars.

Kathy M.

Bob Scotney said...

A journey ito space again, but I met the theme, even Warwick.

DougVernX said...

Once again I write my post before seeing the "theme." Somehow I always seem to find that theme in my post. See if you can spot the theme this time. hehe

Little Nell said...

A ‘bumper’ crop from me. The possibility of a speeding ticket in Honolulu, but no chance of the ‘minis’ getting up to speed.

Tattered and Lost said...

Alan, that's such a nice shot. How is it archives end up with such beautifully exposed shots? Well, the fact that they've actually got some cash to buy the good ones....

I've used women and transportation as my attempt at the theme.

Unknown said...

Women and cars.....I can do that!

tony said...

I Made A Mess Of My First Link! So...click on the 2nd "Tony Zimnoch" !

dakotaboo said...

Great post again this week Alan. I've gone for bumpers ... and this week I promise I'll try and find time to read every one else's posts as well.

Mike Brubaker said...

Nice photo but I'm off theme this weekend.

Howard said...

Though you can see a couple of cars in my postcard this week, I haven't really followed the theme

Bruno Laliberté said...

yes! i am a themer, sort of...
and a bit of detective work as well, sort of...
my life is always kind of "sort of", apparently...
;)~
HUGZ

Jinksy said...

As usual I go my own sweet way...But the lady in your picture wouldn't have looked out of place on the occasion when my photo was taken. How's that for a cryptic link? lol

Karen S. said...

Great photo as always Alan, and you got my mind spinning instantly! Oh yes you'd say I like this theme, it brought back memories of a special somewhat unsolved mystery....still lurking inside my head! Have a great weekend!

Jinksy said...

There's a totally erroneous message by my name on the Linky List! No scrolling necessary!

Alan Burnett said...

I have a tenuous link in that I have a car bumper in my photograph.

Doctor FTSE said...

Mine mentions a carpark . . . .

Kristin said...

Jeanette Mccall McEwen sitting not on the bumber but on the running board of a car, along with some of her life story.

Anonymous said...

time was short this week so couldnt work on much writing, but some cool shots :)

WyomingDiva said...

Fun - thanks for the image. I am always surprised what comes out when I study the picture and begin to write.

Unknown said...

Quite a fashionable lady and that is what I have up today also. Been missing a couple of weeks. Glad to be back.
QMM

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

There's a car in one of my pictures.... It may even be the same era, but that's about as far as it goes.