Monday 30 May 2011

Sepia Saturday 77 : Saturday 4 June 2011

Image from the Bain Collection of the Library of Congress - via Flickr Commons
Sepia Saturday 77 will take place on or around Saturday 4th June 2011. A couple of days later we will be off on our holidays and therefore the next few Sepia Saturday Calls have been prepared beforehand and pre-posted. Blogger still seems to be a little off-colour and sickly and therefore if things go pear-shaped whilst I am away, just keep posting your sepia posts and linking where you can. I will be back in time to launch the call for Sepia Saturday 81 which I will put up early in the week starting Monday 27th June. 

My holiday will start with a train journey down to London, so I thought an archive image of a railway train might be appropriate. This particular image comes from the Library of Congress archives and is taken from a glass negative from the Bain Collection. The Library of Congress had little information about either the engine or the date the photograph was taken, but in the very best spirit of the Internet within a few weeks of it being displayed on their Flickr Collection, information had come flooding in from enthusiasts. It appears that it is "1395 Archimedes, a Webb Dreadnought class divided drive compound (note the large cylinder-head cover above the buffer beam). She was built at Crewe in 1886 and scrapped in 1904". Hopefully the train I will board on the 6th will be a little more modern than this, but if it gets me to my destination safely, I don't really care.

Your destination is Sepia Saturday 77 where we will all meet on or around Saturday 4th June. Have a safe journey.
SEPIA SATURDAY is a weekly meme which encourages bloggers to publish and share old images and photographs. All that is required is for contributors to post an old image (it doesn't have to be in sepia) and provide a few words in explanation. If you could provide a link back to the Sepia Saturday Blog and visit as many of the other contributors as you can, it would also be appreciated. There is no weekly theme, as such, but some people like to use the archive image published with the weekly call as a kind of theme. There is no requirement to adopt such an approach : the choice of image is entirely up to you. Once you have published your Sepia Saturday post, add a link to that post to the Linky List published each week and leave a comment to let everyone know you are joining in.

23 comments:

Kristin said...

oh no! I don't think i have a single train related photo in my old collec...wait, i do.

Anonymous said...

Dont have a train myself, but have a depot and some RR workers, gotta dig them out and get to work on the blog!

Little Nell said...

Goodness, I’m early this week; must have been in the mood! Having thought it would be a struggle I came up with some Yorkshire ‘celebrities’and a spooky cure for holiday ennui!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Alan,

I hope that you guys have a most wonderful trip! Sorry that I haven't been here for a while. I do have a great post for you guys this week though, about trains and lots of Oregon history.

Please also click on my home page, because all of the posts this week have to do with Sepia/Oregon Pioneer stuff too.

Thanks! Take care,

Kathy

Anonymous said...

I finished my blog early and had a lot of fun with this one.

dakotaboo said...

All aboard, my post is up. Have a great holiday Alan.

Bob Scotney said...

A bit of train spotting.

I'll be on holiday too until mid July. I'll try to comment on posts as usual, but will only have access to creative commons and a limited number of photos so I may not meet other themes after this week.

Brett Payne said...

Bon voyage, Alan, and I hope you won't see my article as a bad portent. I'm sure your journey will far smoother than those depicted in my contribution this week.

Postcardy said...

Have a fun trip. I wish I were going on a train journey too.

DougVernX said...

I have another installment of Fran and Bunt's Western Adventure. But I think I will have another post on the theme of trains since I am a rail fan. Have a nice trip Alan.

Christine H. said...

A train is mentioned, but never shown.

Karen S. said...

Oh I know you will have the best of times! Enjoy every single moment no matter you may be doing or where you'll be (shopping and shopping ha ha just kidding!) have the time of your lives together experiencing new and old places and things! Karen S. (who can't wait for my next trip too!)

Karen S. said...

A note to Bob Scotney as well, I have been trying to comment on your/Bob's posts and blogger is not letting me do it. It happened here too, but at least I could click to add my name...it happens only on some blogs ...do you have this same situation and if so what can we do about it? Let me know if you can! Thanks!

tony said...

Sorry I'm Later Than Last Week,I Missed My Train..............

Howard said...

There's a locomotive in my posting, but it's not where it's supposed to be...

Unknown said...

We are back home but too much going on to be able to post this week. I will try to read up on others though.

Bruno Laliberté said...

not a themer this week as i opted for another kind of horsepower: the horse!!

anyway, i've already given you a train in the past.

and i think you'll love this picture!!
:)~
HUGZ

Tattered and Lost said...

I do love trains, but alas my best train shot was shown here last fall. So instead I give you a pool player, or billiard player, or snooker player or...

Margaret said...

Enjoy your vacation and remember to take photos! :) I love the lighting and perspective in your train photo!

Mike Brubaker said...

Off theme but I too like trains, especially steam trains. The train here is gone but I bet the platform is still there.

Kristin said...

Where were my grandparents going and who were they traveling with? A journey in the 1950s by train.

Anonymous said...

Wow, a lot of you had trains this week! Alas, I had none, so I am not on theme. I did get a new (old) family photo today, so I wrote about that. This won't let me post under my account, so I have to do it as "Anonymous".
CeCe "My Tangled Vine"

Jinksy said...

The only train in my post, is my train of thought! LOL