Thursday 13 January 2011

Sepia Saturday 57 : 15 January 2011

From The Archives of the London School of Economics
The great thing about a virtual tour of on-line photographic archives is that you don't need to go in a straight line. So this week I fly back from America to London and the photographic archive of the London School of Economics and share this delightful photograph of the LSE Women's Hockey Team of 1920-21. If you think you recognise your Great Aunt Mildred or even you Uncle George, there is a list of names on the Flickr page.

As we sail into 2011, there are a couple of housekeeping points I need to raise. I noticed that last week a few links came in rather late and there is a danger that these will have been missed by those who confine their posting and reading to the Saturday in question. Would it be better if I tried to post each new call at the beginning of the week (say Monday morning) and therefore latecomers become early-birds and there is less chance of us missing their posts. Also, for the sake of those new to Sepia Saturday, can I remind you to (1) make your Linky List link a link to a specific post rather than your Blog in general, and (2) include a link back to the Sepia Saturday Blog either within or at the end of your post.

Early-birds or latecomers, grab your hockey sticks and prepare to take part in Sepia Saturday 57 which will take place on or around 15 January 2011. Everyone is in the team. Have a great game.

22 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

My hockey stick is a bit fragile now and I might struggle a bit to keep up. Golf's my game, but when I played hockey and cricket I used to tell the golfers, 'Any b.... fool can hit a ball that stays still.'

Kristin said...

Keeping with the sports theme I posted a photo of my champion skating aunts and uncle.

Bob Scotney said...

Oophs! I've posted the wrong link on Mister Linsky. There is a hockey related post on my blog which is more relevant than the link shown here. Sorry!

DougVernX said...

I have some commentary from my postcard collection this week.

Alan Burnett said...

Mine is up.

neetzy said...

Oh what fun! I wish I could recognize some relatives, but mine were all short and hobbit like. I continued with the carousel theme as I found my old carousel house was completely demolished and gone within a week of my last post.

Unknown said...

Well mine is up with a little different slant. A sketch of my gparents farm enhanced with sepia.LOL
Your post is great. I love that type group. Of course I know no one there.
QMM

Nancy said...

I love those girls' jumpers but I honestly can't imagine playing hockey in dresses! Some of them look so serious, others look like they're planning on having fun. Great photo.

Thanks for keeping Sepia Saturday going, Alan.

dakotaboo said...

Having been away on business this week I'm a bit late in posting, but hopefully it's worth the wait. Happy Sepia Saturday everyone - I'll look through all your wonderful submissions later today - off for a bike ride now as desperately need some exercise.

Bruno Laliberté said...

pursuing on NEETZY's idea of heritage gone...

HUGZ

Unknown said...

I continue last week's with a train wreck...but close about today's football playoffs...almost missed this week but made it!

Unknown said...

PS this photo does remind me of one I will dig out of MIL's basketball team in the 20's..

Ana B. said...

I think Hockey is so "violent" in a good way today, imagine in that time with dresses - I wouldn't like to play, lol, Im so chicken! lol, but I love the picture. :) Love their faces. ( I have something with faces)

PattyF said...

My apologies for not posting for a while, but I'm back in the swing of things. Happy Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Oh crumbs, I'm late again!

Bob Scotney said...

Folks - I've been having problems with Mr Linksy - finally got it right!

Paula said...

Just found a whole stash of late 19th/early 20th century family photos. Posted a couple of my favorites today! And off to check out everyone else's treasures...

mouse (aka kimy) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mouse (aka kimy) said...

dang i really have to proofread before I hit post, one would think with wv that would be a snap!

okay here's what i deleted minus typos:

love the hockey team photo!! i played hockey in high school and these uniforms are nothing like the ones i wore! ha ha....

by the way, what constitutes 'being late' to posting? my goal is to get something up on saturday. although i guess saturday is 'relative' i expect it's already sunday on the other side of the pond and who knows what time it is down-under....although i didn't think i was late, maybe i am but hey whatever!

happy saturday, sunday, monday or whatever!!

Alan Burnett said...

Mouse you are not late. I always think of "late" as being after the weekend. Whatever day it may be, your posts are always welcome.

Lisa said...

Would love to have seen those girls in action! Wonder if they wore padding?

Excited to have found this site and look forward to visiting all the links. Wonderful notion for a share.

Melissa, UnboxYourPhotos.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.