Thursday 7 October 2010

Sepia Saturday 44


Another Room by Martin Hodges

Far off, in another room,
Faceless portraits draw the eye.
Coated in the dust of spent words,
Objects brave the chill of killed time.
This is the past. The impatient prisoner.

Far off, in another room,
Restless motifs shape the day.
In half remembered, stuttered chorus,
Crackled songs are cast adrift.
This is history, daring to escape.


When I read that poem by my good friend Martin Hodges, I immediately thought of Sepia Saturday and asked for his permission to use it on one of these weekly calls to participants. Martin, who has been a supporter of Sepia Saturday ever since it was first launched, agreed and I thought it would fit perfectly in this first of my "Holiday Calls".  Although I am not away on holiday yet, I thought it would be best to do a dry run with the pre-posted calls to make sure it is working (and, more importantly, to make sure I am pressing all the right buttons).  So this is the call for participants for Week 44 of Sepia Saturday which will take place on or around Saturday 9th October 2010.  You know the score by now, if you are taking part just leave a link on the Linky List at the end of this post. As Martin says in his poem, "this is history, daring to escape". Join us.

14 comments:

dakotaboo said...

Bit of a departure from my usual sepia vintage postcards, but I thought this vintage car magazine from the 1950's hit the spot.

Christine H. said...

I am looking forward to participating this week - a very special post for me. I will also be trying to do it remotely. It may take me a few days to get through and comment on all the posts.

Alan Burnett said...

A little early this week but whose counting? I have suitcases to pack this weekend.

Jinksy said...

Suitcases seem appropriate, in view of my choice of picture this week, entitled ' Monte Carlo!', though it's not a photo, but a drawing. Hope it's not breaking too many rules...

Kat Mortensen said...

Although unable to man the helm, Alan, I am at last able to participate (after 8 weeks!) and have put together a short post with a brand new photograph!

Kat

Kat Mortensen said...

Incidentally, that is a brilliant piece by Martin! "The chill of killed time" gives me goosebumps!

Kat

Martin said...

Glad to be back this week, as well.

tony said...

I Am In! [in all my glory!]

Unknown said...

I've put up my Sepia Saturday. My link from my blog doesn't seem to be working. I could do with learning about links and things!
My Sepia Saturday today is about our "big School".

Unknown said...

Well I finally go mine up too. There has been all kinds of problems with Google lately.
QMM

Bruno Laliberté said...

done!!
i'll be visiting you all as soon as possible, monday most likely.
:)~
HUGZ

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

The poem by Martin is calling up the ghosts, very appropriate for Sepia Saturday. I like his chosen words.... my choice today a long lost summer in 1934.

Your Genetic Genealogist said...

My post is about former sweethearts of our ancestors and their life choices that, ultimately, determine our fate. Thanks for all of the wonderful comments you all have left. I do my best to visit everyone's submissions, but it usually takes me awhile. (As you can see, I am always finishing things at the last minute!)

The Silver Fox said...

When will you post the new Mr. Linky for October 16th's post? Mine's already up!