Thursday 30 September 2010

Sepia Saturday 43

Last week Joan over at Sempiterna Me told us a lovely story about the origin of her middle name Ivette. Like so many names, the name had been handed down within the family and adapted from that of her Uncle Ivan. It reminded me that, long before photography existed, most families would attempt to preserve precious family ties by something as simple as a shared name. My own son has Holroyd as a middle name, a name that has been in his mothers' family for generations.

Over the last 43 weeks I have been able to bring many of the names of the regular participants in Sepia Saturday to your attention with my weekly introductory remarks. However for the next four weeks or so I am going to have to introduce some changes as later in October I will be away on holiday. I intend to pre-publish the calls and (hopefully) get blogger to post them at the appropriate time. This, however, means that I will not be able to reflect on the previous weeks' posts. But, don't worry, the normal introduction will return as soon as I return from holiday. And I will carry on working through the long list of participants until I have featured everyone. More information about my absence next week, until then please join in with Sepia Saturday 43 which will take place on or around Saturday 2nd October. Just post your post and link your link and let us know your name.

14 comments:

tony said...

Very Early This Week! I'm off to Manchester for the weekend to The Rugby League Grand Final so I thought I would get in early before I Travel.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

The little girl in the photo last week was adorable. Names are very important and an interesting discussion where many have come from. My own surname was White and my mother said she though Crystal went well with that.
I was born close to Christmas and had blond hair... So, its amazing how we get our names.

Unknown said...

I did get a surprise to see my photo there Alan. Thank you. My post is up.. my first school. Hope you have a good autumn holiday.

Alan Burnett said...

Early or late, it matters not. Welcome all.

Unknown said...

Ok we will try to behave ourselves without your intro's and oversights! :) I'm back for this week!

DougVernX said...

Looking forward to all Sepia Saturday posts. Mine is up!

dakotaboo said...

Just added my Sepia Saturday for this week. A bit rushed I'm afraid but hopefully it still hits the spot.

SouthernSass said...

I love Sepia and am so happy I found this site. I will be posting one of my all time favorite pictures on Saturday!!

Unknown said...

Hooray for your holiday. Good for you. My is just now up.
QMM

Nana Jo said...

It's lovely to be participating again after a long summer hiatus. Are you walking around humming 'New York, New York' yet, Alan? The anticipation must be building!

L. D. said...

I have a token post this week but I just don't have the info that I want to post a larger one.

Bruno Laliberté said...

I'M IN!!!!!
see you all on sunday most likely, unless i find the time today.
:)~
HUGZ

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Have a wonderful holiday Alan.
My entry is up now I am looking forward to catching up on everyone else's entry.

Your Genetic Genealogist said...

Formerly a mystery photo - solved! :-)