Tuesday 27 April 2010

Sepia Saturday Week 21

I remember, years ago, coming across a school history textbook which, whilst covering all the usual bases in terms of nineteenth and twentieth century political and social history, illustrated the names, places and events with reproductions of postage stamps. I thought it a wonderful approach because it reminded readers that these great events did not take place in isolation, but were fused into the lives of ordinary people. I like to think that our Sepia Saturday efforts are a bit like this. You can look at these slightly faded photographs of ours and see faces from the past : but look again and you see those faces within the context of great economic, social and political movements. Those movements shaped their lives and, inevitably, they have shaped our lives too. That multi-talented blogger John Hayes of Robert Frost's Banjo has recently been featuring a series of Sepia Saturday photographs of his father during his time in the American Civilian Construction Corps in the 1930s. These posts and these photographs are a perfect example of what I mean. Pictures of faces which have not only been touched by their own unique personal history, but also the history of their times. 

Week 21 of our Sepia Saturday adventure will take place on Saturday 1st May 2010. What historical events will be reflected in the faces of the photographs featured by our Sepia Saturday posters? Call back on Saturday to find links to all the posts. Better still, join in the Sepia Saturday project and add your own link to the list below.

15 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

One of the great joys of looking after the Sepia Saturday blog is that I can always be first on the Linky List. Trouble is, I am normally last to get round to reading everyones posts - but I get there in the end.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Your doing well Allan, I love looking at the old photos and reading the stories...so interesting!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for that, Alan! I'll be there tomorrow, tho it may be late in the morning western US time.

Unknown said...

I am out of town but brought my laptop and thumb drive to be able to keep up this week, just brief, but hate to miss out on Sepias. I enjoy reading others' and sharing my own stories....

Delwyn said...

Thank you Alan for maintaining the Sepia Sat site

happy days

Enchanted Oak said...

I agree with Delwyn: Thank you for maintaining this site. It's very enjoyable. My offering is posted after midnight, western US (Pacific) time. Here

Nancy said...

I just found your blog tonight (Friday night) and love, love, love it! Thank you for thinking of it. It's too late for me to to be included for 5/1, but I plan to post on future Saturdays. I also wanted to let you know that I'm writing a post about Sepia Saturday at my own blog: My Ancestors and Me at http://nancysfamilyhistoryblog.blogspot.com. I hope you don't mind! Thank you again for this great blog!

Nana Jo said...

I'll just add my voice to the choir here, and thank you as well!

Jo said...

Pleased I've found you through Nancy May - I love old photos and must get some up on my blog. I have posted an amusing photo of a chimney sweep in Edinburgh :-)

Anonymous said...

I re-vamped by blog so I'm up and running again! I did lose a lot of my original posts when Blogger pulled the plug on my FTP blog, but now I'm using the Wordpress platform.

Keith said...

Sorry, I gave you the wrong link. This is the right one http://earlshilton.org.uk/wp/

Meri said...

Alan, I too want to say thank you. This is always one of my favorites strolls around blog land. And I agree with you, the people in these stories represent an historical slice of life. My post today shows how the coming of the railroad line to remote eastern Oregon impacted lives.

neetzy said...

I love Sepia Saturday. It is always much fun to look at all the old photos and the rich histories everyone has to share! I must add one disclaimer. My histories are based on memories and stories. Some facts may be a bit "fuzzy". I do the best I can!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

take good care.
Enjoy your visits.

tony said...

I'm In This week!