Tuesday 11 July 2017

Sepia Saturday 376 : 15 July 2017

Opening Of Norwood Sports Pavilion (1909) East Riding Archives Flickr Stream
Our Sepia Saturday theme image this week is, in its original state, just a little too sepia and therefore I have added a little contrast too Sepians can focus in on the detail a little easier.

However faded the print may be,  the celebrations are clearly visible, with flags flying and the very best hats being worn. The occasion was the opening of the new pavilion for the Beverley Town Cricket, Bowling and Athletic Club, in Beverley, East Yorkshire. The eagle eyed amongst us may just notice a cricket score in the background. Whatever game you play and whatever theme you care to identify and follow in this fine old photograph, all you have to do is to post a post on or around Saturday 15th July 2017 and link it to the list below.

Whilst you are waiting for inspiration - or for the bowlers to change ends - why not cast an eye over the next couple of theme images.



Howzat!



7 comments:

ScotSue said...

Thanks to my local heritage group, I can match crowds, hats, bunting and even the date date in some vintage photographs from 1908 - plus more recent flags from around the world.

La Nightingail said...

Crowds gather to watch all manner of things including games, parades, races, the water pipe that bursts in the middle of the street . . . not that I have that particular picture in this post but it happened in San Francisco when I was working there - right in front of our building near lunchtime so of course everyone was gathered round to watch. A pump was brought in. It failed. Then another pump was brought in. Meanwhile, all the water was shut off in our building so we all got to go home early! :)

Kristin said...

A photograph of the congregation of Witherspoon Presbyterian Church in Indianapolis, Indiana. Taken in 1909. Lots of hats.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

I'm running out of photos...used this one before in a slightly different post. Remember? Read the Billy Collin's poem I included called "Forgetfulness." I can't finish this because I have to go look for my phone, my keys and my checkbook.

Mike Brubaker said...

I think I have something that's kind of a match. Musical of course.

Tattered and Lost said...

No match at all.

Barbara Rogers said...

Finally some historic info...this time from a tavern in TN. but I also give you yesterday's blogpost of my mom's postcard penpal from Letwich UK. Funny how we can't put real links in comments. So if you're interested, it's cut and paste time.
http://blackmtnbarb.blogspot.com/2017/07/hazel-autley-pen-pal-from-england-three.html