Monday 24 November 2014

Sepia Saturday 256 : 29 November 2014

As a general rule, if you take a daft photograph and then let it soak up eighty years of history it will become even dafter. This is certainly true of this 1930 photograph of the Swan Maiden's Carriage at the Grace Brothers Ball in Sydney, Australia. Grace Brothers were - believe it or not - a famous Department Store, and the strange scene depicted in this photograph (which comes to us by way of the Flickr stream of the Powerhouse Museum) is as strange as anything you might have seen in an episode of "Are You Being Served?". Possible themes for Sepia Saturday 256 include festivals, floats, feathers and fair maidens. Whatever you decide to go with, just post your post on or around Saturday 29th November and add a link to the list below.

But before you swan off and look for a matching old photograph, take a quick gander at what is to come in the next couple of weeks.

257 : Lassoo, Dad and Son, porch, dog, cowboy

258 : Scenes cropped from the background of other photographs, 
sailors, and people walking away.

That is all for the future. For the moment, all you need to do is to climb aboard the Swan Maiden's float and glide down to your rendezvous with Sepia Saturday 256.




22 comments:

La Nightingail said...

I've got pies to bake, turkey to roast, stuffing to stuff, & spinach dip to make. (Thank God the cranberry sauce is already done!) So I thought I'd get my Sepia entry posted a trifle early.

ScotSue said...

Some fun tales of clowns, costumes, parades & processions.

Éire Historian said...

Thanks very much for the inspiration image! My post is entitled 'An Extravaganza: The Irish Hospitals' Sweepstakes'. As usual, my post will appear on Saturday.

Cheers,
Jennifer

Wendy said...

A Disney parade

Postcardy said...

I have a department store parade float.

21 Wits said...

Of course I had a way of twisting theme into something I'm reading at the moment.

Barbara Rogers said...

Reposting a few pics from my mom's album.

Teresa Wilson Rogers said...

Didn't think I'd find anything to post but somehow managed to!

Mike Brubaker said...

No swans but some ugly ducks.

Little Nell said...

From student Rag Weeks to Burying the Sardine!

Caminante said...

Little Nell and I have had the chance to see many parades and fiesta here. One of my favourites was the parade of 300 santas a couple of years ago.

Alex Daw said...

Not much sepia - forgive me.

Tattered and Lost said...

In the minds of these folks life is a parade.

Jofeath said...

Just a little about the Palais Royal, which was the location of this week's prompt photograph, and a tenuous personal connection.

Unknown said...

Neither swans nor swan dancers but a parade to be sharing soon,,,wild west

Anonymous said...

Take a leap from Grace Bros store to Farmer's store and thence to Hilda Tansey and her Sydney Ladies Brass Band.

DougVernX said...

Swans? Never heard of them, lol.

Postcardy said...

I made a second post with a postcard that I was originally planning to use, but was having trouble identifying.

Boobook said...

Gloria was queen for the day.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

The whacky characters at Expo 88.

Unknown said...

Love to visit with all you Sepians, even if I'm not posting this week!

Unknown said...

ScotSue said... iclowncostumes.blogspot.com