Tuesday 19 February 2019

Sepia Saturday 458 : 23 February 2019


I seem to be on familiar territory with this week's Sepia Saturday theme image - in the comfortable surroundings of a cosy wine merchants establishment in Paris. The photograph is entitled "Marchand de vin rue Boyer" and is by the French photographer, Eugène Atget (1857-1927). The photograph is held in the archives of the George Eastman Museum and forms part of their Flickr Commons stream. They estimate the date of the photograph to be around 1910-11.

As usual, we invite you to look at the image and find something within it to act as a connection with an old image from your own collections. Let your thoughts flow like fine French wine and share with us some of your best vintage photographs. All you need to do is to post your posts on or around Saturday 23 February 2019 and then add a link to the list below.

Whilst you are sampling a selection of your best vintages, you might want to keep in mind the next two Sepia Saturday prompts.



You will notice that I have been doing a little long-overdue housekeeping on the Sepia Saturday Blog. I have included a new Sepia Saturday header image, and also updated the links to the blogs of Sepia Saturday participants. If I have missed your blog from this list, please let me know and I will add it.


8 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Couldn't find any old photos on the theme suggested by the photo this week. Somehow when I'm in bars, I'm not taking photos! And yet, here we want old ones, not even recent! So I'm sharing a story from FaceBook, with some wonderful elder women and their cabin in the Smokies.

Molly's Canopy said...

I was drawn to the pastoral scenes on the bar backdrop and found a lithograph depicting a similar rural area where my new subject, my gg grandmother Mary Elizabeth (Blakeslee) Bull, lived as a child.

Wendy said...

Bootleggers in the family

Alan Burnett said...

Wonders will never cease - a boozy theme and I go sunbathing instead!

Anonymous said...

I'm sticking with the story I started until I document everything I have!

Sue McPeak said...

Ya'll are too funny...boozy bar Alan, bootleggers Wendy. So, you know I'm going to have a Bar Bottle of Lone Star story. Here's 'Mud in Yer Eye', Ya'll.

Little Nell said...

I'm re-posting blog from 2011, only one or two of you have seen it before!

Mike Brubaker said...

This theme image was hard. All I could find was a thread for bottles. Musical of course.