Monday 26 September 2016

Sepia Saturday 344 : October 2016 - From Here To There


Our Sepia Saturday theme for October is "From Here To There" and as the title suggests it is all about movement. Whatever the era, whatever the technology: so much of our lives is taken up with getting from here to there - whether it be the daily commute to work or uprooting ourselves and our families and moving half way around the world. And we go from here to there by foot, by car, by railway engine, by aeroplane and - like the ladies in our theme image - by bicycle. The theme opens up an Aladdin's cave of photographic subjects: there can be few of us who doesn't have a car or ferry, train or bike or a set of walking feet somewhere in their collection.

So look out those old photographs and post them throughout October in this Sepia Saturday travel and transport month. Add a link to your various contributions to the list below. Keep your feedback coming - we need to make a decision about the longer term future of Sepia Saturday soon, so your ideas and views are important.  I will give you advanced notice of the November call in a week or so. In the meantime, I need to go from here (Yorkshire) to there (Sunny Spain). See you all soon.

And as Alan goes, I return, for a short while at least, then I’ll be going again. I’m very excited because, all being well, I’ll be meeting up with fellow blogger Brett Payne, known to you all as Photo Sleuth. Brett will once more be walking the Camino; this time Camino Norte, and we’ll be going over to do some joint sightseeing with him in Bilbao. A few weeks after that we’ll be meeting Alan and his Good Lady Wife when they make a brief stopover on our island. Isn’t Sepia Saturday wonderful? Three people who I never would have met without this meme, but who I now count as my good friends. I hope to be joining in a bit more this month and meeting more of my Sepian friends on here. Meanwhile, there is always the Facebook group - ask to join, if you are a blogger who contributes to this meme. The more the merrier.

I am making a brief return to give you advance warning of the November theme. Here it is - 


That's all for now - cases to unpack .... and then pack again. See you soon, Alan




38 comments:

La Nightingail said...

My theme this month will be Sporting Women of the 1890/1900s.

Barbara Rogers said...

Trains and our dear old depot here in Black Mountain NC!

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

I'm digging up my old train photos....I started with the fastest I've been on.

ScotSue said...

it is good to see a quick response to this month's prompt. My theme Family Fashions for a Car Drive.

Wendy said...

Injuries and deaths in the family due to working for the railroad - yeah, that sounds like a fun blog

ScotSue said...

There was apparently a problem with my first entry, so I have posted the link gain. I hope this reads OK, and I look forward to comments. .

ScotSue said...

I don't know why I am having problems with the link this week - but entry no. 7 above works - and the one labelled Correct Link doesn't, though it did when I tested it. Frustration! You will find my post at https://scotsue-familyhistoryfun.blogspot.co.uk.


Little Nell said...

Sue I can link to your second link, so I’ll delete the two which are wrong.

LA Nickers said...

Thanks for another thought-provoking vintage photo prompt!

Mike Brubaker said...

I was going to wait until next weekend but I have a special post that I'd like to share with my Sepia Saturday friends. This story is from May 2010 before I became a regular Sepian but I've given it a bit of a polish and shine for this week. It's one of my very favorite photos and its story deserves more attention as you will discover when you read it.

Jofeath said...

I've gone with bikes and trikes this week, but I'm jet setting off to the UK on Saturday to meet my new grandson so may not post much more for the rest of the month as a result, but I'll see. I have lots of photographs on Google+ I can make use of. It seems to me that only a small number of people are contributing to the monthly theme and even fewer are leaving comments, which is rather discouraging to say the least.

La Nightingail said...

Week II -Out on the water and up in the air!

ScotSue said...

A trusty horse for work and pleasure - my theme for this week of "Here to There".

Wendy said...

The oldest cars in my photo collection

Barbara Rogers said...

Some gypsy traveling by me, my family, and some non-related real gypsies.

Alan Burnett said...

Half way between here and there - just time for a quick post

Little Nell said...

A gallery of my dad’s work cars.

La Nightingail said...

Week III - The ball's in your court!

Jofeath said...

A trip down memory lane.

ScotSue said...

Two vintage comic railway postcards my entry for this week.

Little Nell said...

80s classics and Millennium rides

Barbara Rogers said...

Now upon the water, moving along!

Anna Matthews said...

A train wreck for me this week. Great promt! Hope I'm able to get posts together for the rest of the month.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

I'm on the road myself traveling from here to there.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

Because I'm behind, I've recycled another old post about a shipwreck...which is a bit how I feel after being on the road for a couple of weeks.

Wendy said...

Airplanes - I didn't realize I had so many photos of planes.

Diane Gould Hall said...

I just published my first Sepia Saturday post. I look forward to sharing more. Thank you for this meme.http://www.michiganfamilytrails.com/2016/10/sepia-saturday-from-here-to-theremy.html

Mike Brubaker said...

Saturday just doesn't have the same meaning it used to have. Since every day, all month long, can be Sepia Saturday I've taken more time to write a better story. It's musicians on horses again.

La Nightingail said...

Week 4: Rolling along or sliding by - sports to keep one mobile!

Barbara Rogers said...

I apologize for not having read all these comments. A bit too many. And I'm sliding off the meme again, just giving some of my own history, where I lived and moved after grad school.

Alex Daw said...

I'm not really on topic here but I thought some of you might be interested in this post.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

I've recycled something older and on a slightly different subject.

Anna Matthews said...

I'm sharing some photos from my grandparents' trip to the Near East this week.

ScotSue said...

A cavalcade of cars is my theme for this week.

La Nightingail said...

Sporting women around the Victorian Era - one more time.

Kristin said...

Better late than never. I guess. I couldn't find the photo I wanted but came across this one of my 16 month old cousin on a tricycle in 1949.

Anna Matthews said...

More photos and ephemera from my grandparents' trip to the Near East.

Mike Brubaker said...

I have something for the ladies to finish out this month.