Wednesday 31 August 2011

Sepia Saturday 90 : Saturday 3 September 2011

The picture above dates from 1916 and shows the Infanta Beatriz of Spain (1909-2002), daughter of King Alfonso XIII of Spain and Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg. The glass negative forms part of the George Grantham Bain Collection at the Library of Congress and has been made available to the world via the Flickr Commons initiative. For once, I have to confess, it is not a random choice : it results from a Flickr Commons search for "Spain". The reason for this is that, by the time Sepia Saturday 90 comes around, I will be soaking up the sun in Spain. For those seeking a theme this week they might want to choose little girls, Spain, holidays or ... whatever. As always your ability to follow a theme doesn't really matter, what is important is to use an old image to say something interesting. Post your images on or around Saturday the 3rd September and link them to the list below. If I can manage to get a decent wifi signal I will follow all your contributions whilst sipping a cold beer and applying another layer of suntan lotion. Hola!
SEPIA SATURDAY is a weekly meme which encourages bloggers to publish and share old images and photographs. All that is required is for contributors to post an old image (it doesn't have to be in sepia) and provide a few words in explanation. If you could provide a link back to the Sepia Saturday Blog and visit as many of the other contributors as you can, it would also be appreciated. There is no weekly theme, as such, but some people like to use the archive image published with the weekly call as a kind of theme. There is no requirement to adopt such an approach : the choice of image is entirely up to you. Once you have published your Sepia Saturday post, add a link to that post to the Linky List published each week and leave a comment to let everyone know you are joining in.

29 comments:

Liz Stratton said...

What a lovely photo! It is great that so many images have been made available by the Library of Congress on Flickr.

I am envious that you will soon be enjoying Spain. I have wanted to go there since High School. Take lots of photos! :)

DougVernX said...

Wow I'm really early this week. Sorry my post has no connection to the pretty girl in the theme photo, but I did write about something beautiful and fragile. Have a fine spanish brew for me Alan!

Bob Scotney said...

Hot spots in Lanzarote for me.

Postcardy said...

My theme is little girls, mainly me.

Little Nell said...

Angelic little girls, one of them me, with half a century between them, and a link to a Fine Looking Gentleman from an earlier post.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

She's so cute. I chose two little sisters, but I have to get ready to leave, so I don't even have their birthdays listed ... though the pictures were probably taken prior to 1890. I'll be back to visit you all when we get home from camping.

Kathy M.

Anonymous said...

My Little Girl is Stella, come meet her :)

Unknown said...

I have a family of little girls in Ulverston, Cumbria. One angelic, with two slightly sinister sisters.

Rosie said...

Thought I would share the prices of little girls dresses from my 1938-1939 Simpson catalogue.

Anonymous said...

I took the vacation angle myself. See you soon!

Brett Payne said...

1916 was the route I chose to follow.

Christine H. said...

Alan, have a wonderful time in Spain. Perhaps if you mention that you're a friend of Beatriz, you'll be treated especially well. I am staying put, but I have a princess to introduce too.

Mike Brubaker said...

A nice choice again Alan. Enjoy your holiday.

I'm going for the cute child theme with my post. About the same period too.

Jinksy said...

This must be a first! I can keep to the subject! LOL

Martin said...

Off subject again, but I'm sure Alan will forgive me.

Howard said...

Not really on topic this week, my postcards show female laundry workers from 1910 and 1916.

Unknown said...

Just a quick post with 4 little sisters...I am glad to be home, but Alan enjoy your trip!

Bruno Laliberté said...

PITY!! Alan is missing probably my only short post of the year...
:D~
i'm a themer, as it has to do with a kid, Raymond' story!!

who knew i'd ever speak of kids???...
:D~
HUGZ

Kristin said...

A lovely little girl holding roses. Where did she go?

dakotaboo said...

Nice picture. I'm a bit late this week - not sure I've ever been as far down as 25th. Anyway, my submission is up. Happy Sepia Saturday and enjoy Spain.

Unknown said...

Third time lucky I hope, apologies for the previous linking hiccups

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I didn't manage Spain, but I did produce a princess to be and some little girls. Enjoy Spain! I haven't been for years but I have Santiago de Compostela in my sights.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your hols - I've posted with little Scottish girls (Granny again) and they're well wrapped up against the Autumn :-)

tony said...

I couldnt get more off-subject if I tried!

GadgetSponge.com said...

Great photograph! I really like the distressed edge of the processing. Thanks again for a great group this Saturday!

Tattered and Lost said...

Barely making it in under the wire, I give you two children from a well-to-do family.

To all those in the US I wish you a happy Labor Day weekend.

Now I'm off to finish putting together the food for my guest who will be arriving in less than an hour.

JJ said...

As a Hemingway fan, Spain is one of my favorite spots on the planet.

Martin Lower said...

Late again I'm afraid. Took a while to get the words out....

Caroline said...

My link is late, I was traveling too, and couldn't get online to link. Hope Spain was/is a good trip.