Wednesday 6 July 2011

Sepia Saturday 82 : Saturday 9th July 2011


My choice for this weeks' archive image was not guided by any hidden agenda, merely by the fact that it is a fabulous photograph. It would be a fabulous photograph if it was taken now, it was a fabulous photograph in 1943 when it was taken in Union Station, Chicago by Jack Delano. It is part of the collection of the Library of Congress which is available on Flickr Commons. As usual, themers can take from it what they will. For both themers and memers, Sepia Saturday 82 will take place on or around Saturday 9th July 2011. Hurry along to platform 2.
SEPIA SATURDAY is a weekly meme which encourages bloggers to publish and share old images and photographs. All that is required is for contributors to post an old image (it doesn't have to be in sepia) and provide a few words in explanation. If you could provide a link back to the Sepia Saturday Blog and visit as many of the other contributors as you can, it would also be appreciated. There is no weekly theme, as such, but some people like to use the archive image published with the weekly call as a kind of theme. There is no requirement to adopt such an approach : the choice of image is entirely up to you. Once you have published your Sepia Saturday post, add a link to that post to the Linky List published each week and leave a comment to let everyone know you are joining in.

24 comments:

Little Nell said...

This week I was guided by the light and reminded of a famous balcony scene. I pay homage to a pioneering photographer and parent’s creativity.

Postcardy said...

I used to be very familiar with Union Station because I grew up in the Chicago area.

Bob Scotney said...

A modern subway and a famous Abbey provide the light for me. I've been to the Abbey but not the subway.

Brett Payne said...

I'm going with a photograph taken almost fifty years earlier, of subjects that probably felt at home in a railway station.

dakotaboo said...

Great choice this week Alan, and a fantastic picture. (Old) railway stations are amongst my favourite buildings. Have stayed relatively on theme this week. Happy Sepia Saturday.

Christine H. said...

What a wonderful photo with those policemen in the spotlight.
I could have posted something on Chicago, but went with trains instead.

DougVernX said...

Love the lighting in this photo. My post mentions trains. Next to last post in my mother's western trip journal.

Unknown said...

An exquisite photo; I will have to think what I have in light!

Martin Lower said...

I've taken the policemen as a theme. It's a bit tenuous, but I've been looking for an excuse to talk about these particular photos for a while!

tony said...

a little light reading this week...

Howard said...

Its a postcard then and now of a railway station from me this week.

Unknown said...

Old memories but on the theme for a change for me. Nothing spectacular like your photo. That is a grand photo.
QMM

Nancy said...

What a fabulous photograph.

Alan Burnett said...

Mine is posted - and for me it is the start of an exploration of a bundle of old photographs.

Kristin said...

I've got some big windows in this weeks post. No spectacular light though.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Mine is nowhere as beautiful but it's a station in the same era.

Bruno Laliberté said...

just a memer this week, with a gigantic post... about a tiny island!! mostly photographs, lucky for you!! didn't even have time to check for typos and such, so i apologize if any. will look at it tomorrow more closely... i'm rushing out the door now as there is much for me to do today!!
have a great day everyone!!
:)~
HUGZ

Bruno Laliberté said...

that's odd!
i just noticed the "frequent contibutors" list and i am not there... i missed only two weeks last year...
as i said: odd!!!
what gives?

Anonymous said...

Been out of state a bit last 2 weeks so been harder to post, dont have time at home to go thru photos, but I did pull up a post of men in uniform more to match the men in uniform in the photo at the station. :)

Mike Brubaker said...

It's a nice photo, I like the light, but I am way off theme this weekend for my blogpost. Cheers!

PattyF said...

One window this week, although it doesn't tie into my take on the theme. Great photo, Alan!

Unknown said...

I hope to get caught up this week viewing everyones posts over the last few weeks. I have been Taking care of my father and have had so little time to get on the computer...Not a themer this week,But a Great Photo Alan :)

Karen S. said...

What a fantastic photo Alan, the person that shot that photo did an incredible job really....quite inspiring...and the poster must be advertising for the trains? It begins about not wasting transportation, probably quite interesting too. I am posting a bit later than Saturday, sorry, but we had a camping adventure! Can't wait to read everyones!

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

I discovered your blog a few days ago.
Great blog and your chosen photography, too.

Regards!