Friday 25 June 2010

Sepia Saturday Week 29

You know what it's like when you buy a new car : until you bought that particular make and model you hardly ever saw one on the road, but all of a sudden they are everywhere. I am beginning to get the same feeling about using the Internet to gather and study old photographs. At almost every turn I come across new sites and blogs that use old photographs as their central theme or as a means of stimulating comment or debate. But unlike the situation with the new Austin Metro, the knowledge that there are many others out there doing what Sepia Saturday does gives me a feeling of great joyousness rather than mild jealousy.

Tony Zimnoch and I grew up in the same northern town at about the same time. We knew the same schools, the same shops and the same dance halls. No doubt we knew some of the same people. But we never actually met until the back end of last year, having discovered each other through our mutual interest in blogging. Indeed, it is Tony you need to thank - or possibly blame - for my range of current blogging activity, because until he became a follower of my News From Nowhere blog, I had been blogging for the exclusive enjoyment (?) of three friends and a dog. By following Tony's endlessly fascinating blog, I discovered just what a creative process blogging could be - and I also discovered a world populated by friends.

In his Sepia Saturday post last week, Tony told a fascinating story of how he discovered a photograph of his mother on a Facebook site devoted to old photographs of Halifax (the town we both grew up in). It was a photograph he hadn't seen before and for me it just seemed to sum up what a magical experience photographic hunting can be. I can't retell the story any where near as well as Tony told it, so if you haven't read his post, read it now.

My holiday and the broken routine means I am a little late in putting up the Sepia Saturday call this week. For that, apologies but, better late than never, here goes :  roll up, roll up, roll up for Sepia Saturday 29. SS29 will take place on Saturday 26 June 2010. New sepias and old sepias are equally welcome. Just sign up on the Linky List and start your photographic hunting expeditions.


15 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

Sorry about the late appearance of the SS29 Call For Posts : too many holidays, too many football games, too much beer.

Kat Mortensen said...

Too much Laphroaig on my birthday yesterday, Alan! I shall have to have a good dose of black coffee before I can assemble anything of value or sense, but I aim to do just that! (Wish me luck!)

Alan Burnett said...

Kat, what with all the coming and going, I forgot to wish you happy birthday. But I did raise a glass to you last night (a 15 year old Dalwhinnie). Happy birthday girl.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Alan: Your stories are always so interesting.
What a great surprise for your friend Tony to discover a photo of his mother. I will go to his Blog and read about it.
Good on you..Keep on keeping on.

tony said...

*blushes*
I will be posting tommorrow ,but due to a combination of World Cup Fever & The Hebden Bridge Parade [fingers-crossed,no thunderstorms!]I wont be posting until later in the day.

Kat Mortensen said...

Hoorah! I'm up! (An early night for me, but I'll visit everyone over the weekend.)

Kat

Unknown said...

I may not catch other posts until late Sunday but I will be back because I enjoy each and every one, we are traveling and at an RV rally and little spare time, but I wanted to post...Busy time

Bruno Laliberté said...

i decided to join in before TONY did it for me.
:D~
the picture this week is a picnic scene with my mom and relatives, in the lower st-lawrence region, in the mid 1930s.
enjoy!

HUGZ

Christine H. said...

I am looking forward, as always, to going through all the posts. This time, for a change, I actually posted a picture of a real relative.

Anonymous said...

I think I am "a peculiar bird" here coming from somewhere Finland near Russian border. But your ancestors have come from all over the Europe, mainly or am I right :)
Very interesting writings and photos to see!

( I left a answer to your comment on my site, but it may do things even more complicated )

tony said...

Bloody Late, But Here I am, Like A Bad Penny !

neetzy said...

Neat connections! I am contributing an Eighties theme in honor of Kat's birthday. I know I'm double dipping, but it continued with the hairstyle theme of last week. And, there was no Sepia in the 80s. Think Mauve! (I do have the sepia toner from my photography class)

FireLight said...

Oops! I almost forgot to tell ya'll....I made a post today! Imgagine that!

Enchanted Oak said...

I've made it, late, but better late than never. I'll visit everyone this weekend.
Sepia Saturday Post

Tattered and Lost said...

Technically it's still Saturday where I live so I'm not late. For most other places in the world I'm a day late and a dollar short. Hope you enjoy it anyway. A Father's Day post for next year. Okay, I'm really late...or really early.