Friday 17 June 2022

Sepia Saturday 626 : 18 June 2022


One of the eternal questions for lovers of old photographs is "how do we know when they were taken?" Our sepia relics predate digital date-stamping by a century or more, and pencilled captions tend to be few and far between. So we are lovers of the inconsequential, ephemeral detectives, collectors of clues. When was Henry Baynton in "The Melting Pot" at the Royal Lyceum Theatre? When was the Vagabond King on at the Edinburgh Empire? (The answer, of course, is 1929 .... or maybe 1928 - photo dating is an uncertain art). This week on Sepia Saturday we are celebrating photo-dating. This, however, is Sepia Saturday which inevitably means we are celebrating old posters on walls, gable ends, custard and coffee - or any other interpretation you care to squeeze out of the theme image. Simply post your posts on or around whatever date it is and add a link to the list below. And take a look at what is to come around the gable end.







5 comments:

ScotSue said...

"Enticing us to buy" is my theme this week, with a look at vintage adverts, starting with a family connection.

Barbara Rogers said...

It was at the last minute that something came up that matched, but first I was inundated with more current things. And I left out a few things that are bothering me these days. I hope everyone's doing well!

Alan Burnett said...

It's about time I started posting to Sepia Saturday again.

Anonymous said...

I finally finished a post I started in May. Ugh! If I really work at it, maybe I'll get another one done that actually matches this week's prompt. But I'm not betting money on it.

Monica T. said...

A post about grief and escape, but also finding the context for one of all those photos without dates or comments in the old albums.