Sunday 16 February 2014

Sepia Saturday 216 : 22 February 2014


Ever since photography was knee high to a grasshopper, the suit has been the be-all and end-all of masculine fashion. And our theme image for Sepia Saturday 216 (post your posts on or around Saturday 22 February) celebrates the suit : or rather three suits, or rather three three-piece suits. And for good measure there are three wonderful hats as well (why is it that the drab suit has stood the test of time whilst the far more practical and visually expressive hat has not?). If you don't like suits and hats you can always focus on the group of three. Or you can hunt out any other potential prompt within this picture by that old Sepia Saturday favourite Sam Hood (1872-1953) which features in the Australian National Maritime Museum collection on Flickr Commons. Regular Sepians will know what to do : post your post and then link to the list below.

Before you put on your hat and get ready to go, have a look at what is coming up on Sepia Saturday over the coming weeks.


Sepia Saturday 217 - 1 March 2014 : Hopefully we have not had this before : three men hiking up a mountain with a big telescope, one of them being a famous composer.


Sepia Saturday 218 - 8 March 2014 : Fences, backyards and Bubonic Plague are amongst the possible themes from this prompt (With thanks to Wendy Mathias).

Who says Sepia Saturday never throws up any challenging prompts! - that is famous composers with large telescopes and bubonic plague all in the space of a fortnight. There should be something there to suit everybody - and whilst we are talking of suits ....


28 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

Our call is up early this week as I will be away until Thursday and wont get chance to post it early in the week. Sadly this means that I might not be able to get around and visit the Sepia contributions for Sepia Saturday 215 and for this I apologise. By next week things will be back to normal - which means that the prompt post will be fashionably late rather than unfashionably early.

La Nightingail said...

I kept waiting for somebody else to be first, but nobody volunteered, so I guess it's me with a post all about hats.

ScotSue said...

Pals together is my theme for this week - but still very formally dressed.

Bob Scotney said...

Men of steel, as well as suits, for me.

Lovely's Blot said...

Another mystery photograph from the photos found in the bottom drawer.

Jofeath said...

All around my hat ...

Jofeath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

3 men fishing -- no suits here.

Unknown said...

No hats, but definitely a three-piece suit!

Postcardy said...

I have a postcard with three people in suits and hats (but one of them is a woman).

Mike Brubaker said...

Hats and suits of a different kind. Is there a 37.85 litre hat for European cowboys?

Unknown said...

I have something including one that is amusing to us with suit and hat theme this week.

Barbara Rogers said...

I worked hard to find anything related in my various photos...so please be patient with my marching women in their uniforms...and they weren't in a band either! I'm also sharing the only photo of my grandfather with dark hair (looking young!)

Anonymous said...

In which I display my ignorance of the styles of men's hats.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Oh'Mein Papa war eine wunderbare Clown! (My father was a wonderful clown.)

Tattered and Lost said...

I've reluctantly been away from Sepia Saturday this year due to several family deaths and my father's illness. There just didn't seem to be time to have fun.

I'm happy to be back with an image taking a different slant on the one Alan has chosen.

And I hope now that I'm back Alan will once again include me in the participants list.

Alex Daw said...

Suits me to a tee! Or a rowing boat...or a strike...or a piggery...or a poet....

Boobook said...

I've gone off on a tangent this week.

Boobook said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bruno Laliberté said...

A modest entry for me this week,
you'll be in and out!!
:)

Glad to be getting Tattered and Lost back!!
:)

Rosie said...

Men, suits, hats, and even a woman thrown in.

Kristin said...

Three men in suits and hats and a little girl with a dog.

21 Wits said...

Hello, and count me in on this round with very determined, mysterious man!

DougVernX said...

3 guys 1 dog and whatever floats your boat!

Joy said...

I managed to find a mysterious trio.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Three plus one for me, not sepia, not really suits either, but something similar.

Little Nell said...

Almost last past the finishing post!

Anna Matthews said...

Four boys in suits and hats looking tough.