Tuesday 15 January 2013

Sepia Saturday 160 : 19 January 2013


We had a bumper week last week, obviously the theme image was far too easy. So for Sepia Saturday 160 we have this odd photo, or rather an odd bit of a photo. It has been cropped off the edge of a picture of my Auntie Amy and Uncle Wilf (is there no end to Alan's aunties, I hear you ask?) As usual, it is up to you to decide what the theme might be, but we all must have pictures in our collections where what is happening in the background is far more interesting than what is happening in the foreground. There is also the looking out possibility : what is the man looking at? Or the old waggon, or seaside piers, or candles and andles and randles. Or you can, of course, totally ignore my silly theme suggestions and go down which ever road you care to choose. Just post your posts on or around Saturday the 19th of January 2013 and link your post to the list below. If you are unsure about how Sepia Saturday works why not take a look at the handy new guide produced by my late Auntie Miriam - it answers all those questions you have always wanted answering but never had the courage to ask.

As usual, here is a sneak preview of the next two Sepia Saturday theme pictures in case you want to make use of the cold, dark January nights to prepare your posts in advance.


161 26 January : Old store fronts, oysters, fruit and veg, barrels, odd machines on curved legs - take your pick.


162 2 February : Bicycles, lads with caps on their heads ... the writing is on the wall.

But those two themes are in the background. For this week let us concentrate on the foreground ... or rather the background. Oh dear, even I am confused now.


40 comments:

Postcardy said...

Last week you mentioned old trucks in connection with this photo, so I was surprised you didn't mention trucks again. Anyway, my post will be about a famous old truck.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

At first, I thought the gentleman was crossing the street and I was going to write about the difficulty of crossing the street in Vietnam - a nightmare. Then I had second, racier thoughts.

Hazel said...

The guy in front reminds me of our coach driver during a tour of the Yorkshire Dales in 2006. He was standing, arms behind watching the French rugby team, exactly like the guy in the old photo. The truck looks so World War II to me.

Hi, I'm participating in Sepia Saturday for the first time.

Boobook said...

It's 1939 and the Red Cross is recruiting members.

Peter said...

Don't look back, they say. But I do.

Little Nell said...

Well Alan's talk of 'backgrounds' and foregrounds' had us all confused, including Alan himself, so I've brought my great-aunt into the foreground and added some background information. Clear everybody?

Karen said...

Hi, this is my first Sepia Saturday post, what a great idea and so many fantastic photos!

Lovely's Blot said...

Not sepia and not that old, but there are two stories in there; the story of the background and the story of the foreground.

Jackie van Bergen said...

My grandfather had more trucks than anyone! Well that's what I thought when I was a kid.

Wendy said...

I have a parade of trucks.

Bob Scotney said...

I found a truck or two.

Peter said...

@Bob
There is something wrong with the link.

Barbara Rogers said...

Here I am, completely off topic. No truck pictures in my collection, nor anything related. Enjoy my high school buddies!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

I do have a postcard of an old truck ... and it is carrying unusual cargo.

Another fun post of some Pacific Northwest travels, including a visit to the Redwood Forest and The Trees of Mystery.

Kathy M.

Sherri said...

The background action is what it's all about. Happy to be back with Sepia Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Wow so many new people, how exciting!! I have asked the question "just what is going on here?" in my post.

Tina´s PicStory said...

interesting charming old pics :)

Anonymous said...

Please ignore my first link and use the "second attempt" link. My brain was temporarily not working properly. :-)

Brett Payne said...

I'm there just in time.

Anonymous said...

I’m going to tell you a story about the ladies on the wagon below. In Scheveningen they are called ‘nettenboetsters’. I didn’t find a translation, so I chose one myself ‘mending workers’. If anyone knows better, please tell me!

tony said...

It's Panto Season!

Mike Brubaker said...

As announced last week, I have part 2 of a musical story. No trucks or geezers but lots of sepia photos.

Alan Burnett said...

I'm up, free and flying like a parrot.

ScotSue said...

Flat caps forward is my theme here.

anyjazz said...

Lost Gallery had a few trucks.

dakotaboo said...

Later than planned, but I'm in this week, picking up on the suggestion of piers.

Tina´s PicStory said...

i think it was in hohenheim/stuttgart/germany. you can see the link: https://www.uni-hohenheim.de/1637?L=1

21 Wits said...

Once before I did a post on looking out, but this gentleman you posted brings my grandfather to life, and it forces me travel that road again! I also included one aunt and made mention of another!!!!

ScotSue said...

Considering I first thought this prompt was not for me, I have come up with a second posting on my cousin's family of carters and coalmen.

Wibbo said...

I'm completely off theme this week :o)

Unknown said...

Your prompt reminds me of many WWII photos I have seen of bewildered citizens watching the movement through the streets. I used 'the background' for my topic. I am pleased to see so many new faces. This is indeed a very popular blog party.
QMM

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I spotted the word "pier", with some relief.

Unknown said...

Lesson learnt - look for the picture within

LLM Calling said...

the man in this photo spoke to me so clearly into the poem I wrote, thanks for posting.

Howard said...

Off-topic as usual from me

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I put in the wrong link.... Sorry. I've added the correct one at the bottom.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

I am late for this interesting Sepia theme. No lorry in sight anno 1777, but a nice looking horse.

Teresa Wilson Rogers said...

Late as usual!

Jackie van Bergen said...

I had so many comments and questions on my first post on this theme, that I thought I should put up another post to try to answer some of them. I had more photos too.

Kristin said...

Running very late this week and find I am number 44! My grandmother looking over the back fence in 1937.