Tuesday 23 October 2012

Sepia Saturday 149: 27 October 2012



Men, Men, Men, Men, Men-dee-Men-Men!

So, you're tired of men, are you? Well feast your eyes on THIS beauty!  ( I jest, so I do.)

Here's another Flickr Commons photo from the National Library of Ireland, and what have we here?  Not one, but TWO women! Hurrah!  (I was greatly relieved to find the second lady in the background with the lovely hat, but I'll be honest, even I am going to struggle to come up with a photo that follows this theme!)

This picture is of "Twin Wells" on the banks of the River Aille at Lisdoonvarna in County Clare, taken around the turn of the century (1900).

Apparently the waters were acclaimed as restorative and this place was designated a spa.  By the looks of things, the old lady in the photo has not benefited, or isn't drinking them. Ha!

Go on my dears, and make what you can of this, be it spas, water, old ladies, young ladies, tourists, umbrellas, homeless people.  Go on!

I cannot possibly think of this spot in the south of Ireland without  giving you a little related treat. Here's a YouTube clip of a somewhat famous tune entitled, "Lisdoonvarna" by the equally famous, Christy Moore. Bear with the brief advertisement at the beginning.


Here we go!  Another couple of teasers for you - and look, in two weeks, not a man in sight!!!







I have made an effort to visit everyone who posted last week, and if you had a method whereby I could follow your blog, I have done so.  I would be most grateful if you would reciprocate.  A hearty thanks to all who have done so, so far.

Don't forget to visit all the undoubtedly stellar interpretations of the photo below, by visiting the Sepia Saturday blog (beginning on Friday) and clicking on the links.   Thank you!




39 comments:

Kristin said...

A post about eXcelsior Springs that covers both streets I lived on and healing waters.

Little Nell said...

Thanks Kat, so now I have Lisdoonvarna as an 'earworm'! What a jolly little piece.

Postcardy said...

My post is about Hot Springs National Park.

North County Film Club said...

I did 2 posts this week. The first one is a follow up of last week's theme. I just couldn't resist. The second post deals with the sad story of Chavez Ravine.
Nancy

Liz Stratton said...

A not-so-sepia tour of Co. Cork, Ireland compliments of Geograph Ireland. I doubt Shamrocks will appear here at Sepia Saturday very often but the Irish-themed prompt seemed the perfect way to kick off the blog.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Mine is about Boswell Mineral Srings Resort this week. There is also a link to The Hotel McCredie, a post about another old Oregon resort that I posted last November. This should be a fun week!

Kathy M.

Rosie said...

I picked up on the fact that there were two women in the post, one stylish and the other one, NOT. I went with stylish. Happy Sepia Saturday everyone!!

Peter said...

My contribution is about eeh, good question, I am still wondering.

Wendy said...

I went with women in bonnets.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Uh-oh, Postcardy's post didn't link up.

Kathy M.

Bob Scotney said...

A ghost or two in a spa town.

Mike Brubaker said...

A change-up from me with no musical theme but instead it's all about umbrellas.

Postcardy said...

I fixed my link.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Don't forget to take off your boots and hat...it's warm...

Unknown said...

I am back! I think....I have slmost forgotten how to post...

Howard said...

Sorry, haven't posted here for a little while, but this week I think I have something that is almost on topic!

Joy said...

Who knew I had a spa town, not me, I only thought I had water until Sepia Saturday prompted me, what about that for serendipity.

DougVernX said...

That poor little old lady looks so sad. I hope they aren't kicking her out! I've posted about the river.

Anonymous said...

I'm late to the party I hope not too late! I posted some photos of ordinary faces and a contemplation on how people are so very average and yet unique at the same time.

Kathy said...

This is the post I started for Oct 13 but didn't finish. Besides getting stuck, it was my birthday, so I have a good excuse!

Bruno Laliberté said...

@ KATHY:
Happy belated birhtday!!
:)~
HUGZ

Bruno Laliberté said...

This will be a short post as far as writing goes, but with many pics you can zoom by or linger upon. It's all up to you!!
:)~
HUGZ

21 Wits said...

Here we are at almost Saturday again. I'm posting early (for my Saturday morning posts) because tomorrow is going to be a full Halloween-Spook-tacular day ! I even included a photo bomb....of sorts! If I haven't said it lately Kat, let me say this...Thanks so much for keeping Sepia Saturday afloat! Enjoy your weekend...!!

Queen Bee said...

Would you like a parasol or an umbrella?

Kathy said...

I have a 2nd entry today - this time on theme. At least my interpretation of it.

caijsa said...

My post is hot it's about Finnish bath/sauna.

Meri said...

North American native peoples & Edward S. Curtis.

Kat Mortensen said...

I said this on Facebook, but for those of you who are not on FB, I'll repeat:

I am going to be late this week. Why? Because I'm absolutely stalled on this post! I've got the photos, I've got the story, but the writing is stop-and-go. Give me some time, I'll get there!

Kat

Kat Mortensen said...

All done! In which I reveal some heretofore unknown secrets.

Unknown said...

I featured Tatham Springs Hotel and Spa built in 1893 and used in 1940s and 50s as a 4-H camp which I remember well.
QMM

Wibbo said...

I'm being an Edwardian tourist this week.

Jana Iverson Last said...

We're going back to Brazil again with my post this week! This time it's the city of Recife.

Kat Mortensen said...

Marilyn said my link wasn't working, thus the CAPS at #30. Thank you!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I have been missing for quite a while but I've joined in again this week.

Anonymous said...

My post tells about our trip to Texel in 1962.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

The old woman is so strange looking. I thought she could almost be a mummy.
It seemed to unkind to take that tack however.

Life Goes On said...

Late at posting my postcard but done now. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Grace

Teresa Wilson Rogers said...

Here I am late as usual but finally found something I wanted to post.

dakotaboo said...

Late again :-(