Wednesday 17 February 2016

Sepia Saturday 318 : 20 February 2016


Our Sepia Saturday theme image for this week (Sepia Saturday 318 - post your posts on or around Saturday 20th February 2016) dates back seventy years to June 1949 and comes from the pages of Downbeat Magazine. It features that wonderful jazz and blues singer, Billie Holiday along with by far the most faithful companion she ever managed to befriend during her all too brief life - her dog. Besides Holidays, mirrors, lights and dogs, the photograph - which is part of the Library of Congress collection on Flickr Commons - contains a host of other potential visual prompts. You, as always, are free to follow whichever you want to - or none at all if you so choose. Just give us some old photo and some new words and add a link to the list below.

You will find details of the next two image prompts below and a link to the prompts up to the end of March in the sidebar. And if I can manage to get my act together, you will find a link to all the image prompts from April until June before the sun as set too many times.


In order to get you in a suitable mood, let me leave you with a little bit of Billie, right back at the start of her career.



x




18 comments:

Kristin said...

Bringing back one from 2011 that has a reflection of my father in the mirror behind me while he is taking my picture.

kathy said...

My opinion of my grandma and dogs changed when I saw this photo.

ScotSue said...

A dressing room, a hair decoration and a disdainful dog? So what can I make out of this week's prompt photograph? I have chosen to tell the story of hairdresser "Elise" - or more rightly Elsie Oldham of Blackpool, (1906-1989), my mother's second cousin.

La Nightingail said...

And they wore flowers in their hair.

Tattered and Lost said...

The youth of a little diva.

Kerryn Taylor said...

A timeline of photos of dogs in my family.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Man's best friend;

Wendy said...

Poodle and a family mystery

21 Wits said...

Hello everyone! I didn't get my post in last week as I had hoped (still researching that one) but I'm in for another look back this week right from my own lovely and adventurous Minneapolis!

Bob Scotney said...

Dogs on holiday.

Mike Brubaker said...

No dogs but three portraits of women. Musical of course.

Jofeath said...

late but not too late, I hope!

Boobook said...

Posted half an hour before the hour of midnight on Saturday (in Victoria).

Alan Burnett said...

Old photos preserve a memory and they can't take that away from me.

Little Nell said...

I’m reflecting on my youthful past.

Barbara Rogers said...

Matching the flowers with some old clippings of my mother in weddings.

Unknown said...

Picked the dog and went from there!

DougVernX said...

A late, but appropriate submission.