Wednesday 8 August 2012

Sepia Saturday 138 : 11 August 2012


You must admit, all this sport can become a bit much after a time. But as the London Olympics draw to a close, here on Sepia Saturday we give a final bow in the direction of the games with this archive picture from the Flickr collection of the Royal Library of Denmark. I have watched on television quite a few of the races in the Olympic velodrome over the last couple of weeks, but I have yet to see the mixed double formation cycling event which was captured by the photographer Sven Türck, sometime in the 1930s or 1940s. Whatever the rules of the event may be, these competitors seem to be thoroughly enjoying themselves, and we can all enjoy ourselves by joining in the Sepia Saturday fun. Couples, cycles, balancing - there are all sorts of potential themes here : as usual, help yourself or play a wildcard and choose your own theme. Just post your posts on or around Saturday 11th August and take a ride around the other participating blogs.

Here is the usual look ahead to the next two Sepia Saturdays for those who like to plan ahead:



So there we go. All you have to do now is jump on your sepia bike, post your post, and link it to the Linky List below Ding ding!


25 comments:

Little Nell said...

I resisted the urge to focus on Queen's hit, "Bicycle Races" due to the risque content :) Instead you have boys on bicycles various.

Bob Scotney said...

If you have ssen enough cycling in the Olympics could could do worse than consider things Danish.

Howard said...

Alas no bicycles from me, just a very busy street scene

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

A photo full of questions. I tried to answer just one. A very good choice for this week.

Wendy said...

Well, just let me be obvious -- mine is about my bike.

DougVernX said...

I'm an avid biker, but I have no link to the theme this week, I've updated an old Sepia Saturday. It's a happy ending! :)

ScotSue said...

No bikes - but a nostalgic tale of village sports.

tony said...

I Had Pun With This One.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

I thought I had exhausted my bike posts but here is one more.

Ka said...

Maybe someone can help me with my unidentified girl and dog on a tricycle.

Kathy said...

Well - somehow my comment posted before I even finished re: unidentified girl on tricycle.... Guess I have uncoordinated fingers today!

Peter said...

I did not resist the urge to focus on the famous Queen's hit :-)

Mike Brubaker said...

I have no bicycles but I do I have a mixed quartet.

Kristin said...

Two on bikes, one bare footed.

Alan Burnett said...

More bikes from me - and some brotherly love.

Anonymous said...

I've found 3 pictures with bikes: One photo, 2 postcards.

Bruno Laliberté said...

A most definite Montreal spin on this week's theme, in a then and now scenario!!
:)~
HUGZ

Jana Iverson Last said...

A photo of my great-grandpa with his motorized bike, circa 1917.

Wibbo said...

No bikes this week, but still sporty.

21 Wits said...

Hello Alan, I hope your weekend is wonderful! I wandered a bit off the biking, for something that builds up a fancier sort of perspiration, still good for one's soul though!

Queen Bee said...

I'm way off theme this week. It's bathing machines & old-style swimsuits from 1875 to 1920.

Postcardy said...

I wasn't planning to participate in Sepia Saturday this week, but my postcard reminded me so much of the London Olympics that I decided to post it today.

Ana B. said...

Found some good old memories from grandfather:) back to post after a looong time :)

Donna - What's Past is Prologue said...

I just posted my very first Sepia Saturday photo!

RJ Clarken said...

I love your photograph! It (along with the photo I ended up using) inspired my poem today. Thanks so much!