Tuesday 9 August 2011

Sepia Saturday 87 : 13 August 2011


My dip into the archives this week brings us a bit of a change. After weeks' of marble-cold statues, cold chrome bumper bars and robotic looking space suits, it's time for a little romance. And romance - or the Danish "Romantik" - is the title of this photograph by Sven Turck which comes from the collection of the Royal Library of Denmark (available via the ever-splendid Flickr Commons initiative). There is no date given, but I would guess the 1940s or early 1950s (Turck died in 1954). If you are looking for a theme for this weeks' Sepia Saturday (on or around Saturday 13th August 2011), you don't need my guidance, you can work it out for yourself. Love to all.
SEPIA SATURDAY is a weekly meme which encourages bloggers to publish and share old images and photographs. All that is required is for contributors to post an old image (it doesn't have to be in sepia) and provide a few words in explanation. If you could provide a link back to the Sepia Saturday Blog and visit as many of the other contributors as you can, it would also be appreciated. There is no weekly theme, as such, but some people like to use the archive image published with the weekly call as a kind of theme. There is no requirement to adopt such an approach : the choice of image is entirely up to you. Once you have published your Sepia Saturday post, add a link to that post to the Linky List published each week and leave a comment to let everyone know you are joining in.

23 comments:

Rosie said...

I had to go digging for this photo, fun though, I had lots to choose from, but settled on this one. It shows the softer part of "love".

Bob Scotney said...

I've got carried away with 'love.'

Postcardy said...

I have some old postcards of romantic couples.

DougVernX said...

I have a kiss caught on film for my post this week.

Anonymous said...

A lil bit of love, secret photos, and love once in the past

Christine H. said...

Alas, I was so busy I couldn't participate last week...and probably not next week either, but I'll be back after that.

Karen S. said...

A simply lovely couple in your theme photo for this week!...I didn't follow your theme in quite the same fashion...but as always every time I pull things together I learn more things ...especially about favorite places of mine like around Lake Calhoun....it is such a small and beautiful world in which we travel isn't it!

Karen S. said...

Bob S. I had to leave a comment for Bob since Blogger is still being wacky....what a great assortment....amazing...and your last photo......no words can express...!

Little Nell said...

He said; “You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how.” No not Rhett Butler to Scarlett O’Hara, but there are ladies in crinolines and romance a’plenty.

Alan Burnett said...

My post is about as romantic as a broken stone gatepost. We will be away for a few days therefore I apologise if I don't get around everyone as quickly as usual.

Howard said...

I'm off-topic again this week, with an old postcard of Guildford.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to be back to SS with some wedding portraits, Victorian style. Looking forward to visiting everyone!

Alan do you think you could add me to the list over there on the right? I know I've been absent for several weeks but I'm feeling much better now and would love to be included. Thanks! :-)

tony said...

Off-piste again!:)

Bruno Laliberté said...

a memer, not a themer, this week, and HEY!!! a short post, for once...
;)~
HUGZ

L. D. said...

I am still a family history blog so I hope that I don't offend too many. I have a lot of pictures to share as I dig through the piles and I will tag along as a non=themer son of a gun. Yep my mom was a pistol.

Anonymous said...

Not really on topic with mine, but it was fun finding out a bit of history on the photographer, even if I do not know who the subjects were...

Kristin said...

Not at all on topic. A photo of me with my my photographer father reflected in the mirror.

Mike Brubaker said...

I'd intended my post this weekend for last week, in part to celebrate my parent's 60th wedding anniversary. But I postponed it when we had a different theme. And now Alan has chosen a very suitable romantic theme, thank you. It's a different take on photographs than my usual. Cheers!

Sean Bentley said...

Well, it's been awhile but I offer another family-history detective story...a decades-long mystery nailed shut!

Your Genetic Genealogist said...

I've been gone for awhile too, but got one posted just before Saturday ends for me. Not on theme, but my latest installment from a newly discovered packet of family photos. Missed you guys!
CeCe "My Tangled Vine"

Jinksy said...

My pictures are hot off the presses, too, but none the less rather sweet...

Martin Lower said...

Sorry, a little late this week! I'll stand in the corner and face the wall......

Margaret said...

This is an amazing photo and I think my favorite "romantic" piece I have ever seen! Wow. I have been busy with kids and getting them off to school and college... hope to participate next Saturday!