Tuesday 12 July 2011

Sepia Saturday 83 : 16 July 2011


"What's going on?", you may ask as you look at the Sepia Saturday Blog and see some changes in the side-bar. The changes are long-overdue as I realised that the list of contributors had not been updated since Kat set the blog up a year and a half ago. So I have got rid of the old list and replaced it with a new list based on those or took part in last weeks' Sepia Saturday. I have probably missed some people out and therefore if you are a Sepia Saturday participant and want your blog entering on the Sepia Saturday Participants" blog-roll, just let me know.

"What's going on?", you may ask as you look at my archive picture for this week. It has the imaginative title "Three Men Playing Cards In An Alcove" and it is by an unknown photographer and taken on an unknown date. It comes from the excellent collection of the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney and has been shared with the world via the ever-wonderful Flickr Commons initiative. There are all sorts of questions you can ask about this particular image, to what extent is it posed, how old is it really (the Museum suggest that it dates from the 1890s) and, most importantly of all, what is the four of clubs doing half hidden on the chair?

"What's going on?". The answer is simple : Sepia Saturday 83 is going on - on or around Saturday the 16th July 2011. Why not come and join us? Bring your own bottle of beer.
SEPIA SATURDAY is a weekly meme which encourages bloggers to publish and share old images and photographs. All that is required is for contributors to post an old image (it doesn't have to be in sepia) and provide a few words in explanation. If you could provide a link back to the Sepia Saturday Blog and visit as many of the other contributors as you can, it would also be appreciated. There is no weekly theme, as such, but some people like to use the archive image published with the weekly call as a kind of theme. There is no requirement to adopt such an approach : the choice of image is entirely up to you. Once you have published your Sepia Saturday post, add a link to that post to the Linky List published each week and leave a comment to let everyone know you are joining in.

30 comments:

Nancy said...

Alan, I like the new blog list on the sidebar. I especially like that you included images. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I dont know how to adjust so mine will have a photo? I have on selected when I post comments on my blog and it shows but not on others, Im on wordpress, anyone know? This is a trickier photo for me to find a theme to go with,,, but I think ive got something Ill just have fun with this week. :)

Postcardy said...

This reminds me of Cezanne's paintings of card players. At first I was going to do something with card players, but I ended up choosing something without cards.

DougVernX said...

Love the new layout! Thanks for featuring my blog in the roll call section. My post this week features not two men playing cards but two retired widows playing rummy kubes in a motel room as they traveled the wild west. CrazyasaCoolFox would like to thank everyone who followed this series and made wonderful comments. Sepia Saturday helped bring many new viewers. This is the final post of this series of Fran and Bunt's Western Adventure.

Christine H. said...

My post also features three men. That's where the similarity ends.

MuseSwings said...

Please add me to your new participant list!
I sort of followed the card theme - but as always - I was taken of on an interesting side adventure.

Karen S. said...

Hello Alan from inside my local library, as it's storming all around us! Internet isn't bothered here! Thank you for including me in the side bar, but mostly thank you for such a cool blog! I have posted a day early for me, since tomorrow my youngest son says I do! I do! We hope anyway, no seriously he will he's been excited ever since he popped the question and she said YES! I think this week's photo rocks as always actually, have a great weekend!

Howard said...

My post this week is a puzzle that features card players.

Mike Brubaker said...

A nice choice Alan. I think I've managed to keep in theme, with lots of extra media content too.

Anonymous said...

Sorry peeps - I've gone off on a random tangent again with a funny little thing found in Dad's box of bits n bobs - any clues as to what on earth it might be, or the hieroglyphics might mean would be gratefully appreciated :-)

Bruno Laliberté said...

i'm inviting you for tea,
but with an unusual twist,
of course!!
:)~
HUGZ

Unknown said...

I have 3 males, a bottle of booze and a fish ( well ya know go Fish is a card game), so I'm an almost themer :)

Nancy said...

I'm surprised those guys are playing cards with windows behind them in the photo above. They had to be careful how they held their cards so the opponent wouldn't see the reflection! I've posted relaxation this week but no cards.

Tattered and Lost said...

Bandwidth issues have kept me away the past few weeks and boy how I missed participating.

I am not on theme, but instead feature a woman who was a schoolteacher. Perhaps a student will someday do a search of her name and find these photos.

Jinksy said...

Looks like having fun is hard work in your picture - possible in mine this week, too!

Alan Burnett said...

The second of my Family Stash photographs - and an appeal to the eagle-eyed.

Unknown said...

A cross-dressing photo I've been puzzling over for ages. What is going on?

dakotaboo said...

A little later than usual this week, and I've gone off theme, but hopefully something of interest. Happy Sepia Saturday everyone.

tony said...

The Photo Does Look A Wee Bit Staged (if only because the composition is near perfect)

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Mine has three people, so there's a vague thematic resemblance. :)

I love the casually placed bottles to the side!

Little Nell said...

Struggled to meet the theme this week, but decided on the Three Men route and managed to squeeze in cards and booze (in the post, not me!).

Pat said...

will be up soon, my last two weeks had photos which could have had tha same caption, "what's going on?" We are here in PA once again, so my post will be brief...

Daydreamertoo said...

I was at Poets United and stumbled across your blog. It really seems to suit what I wrote about Ancient Greek Gods and the pictures I used. Thank you to you for organising this for us to take part in and to discover other writers that I may not have read before, too.

Unknown said...

I am late, but here. A gift of a published family history from my first cousin has given me lots of photos and stores for draw from. It is his father's side of the family but we are working on our mutual side of the family, his mother.
QMM

Margaret said...

I LOVE the look the gentleman on the left is giving the opposing player! Great reflection here and "in-the-moment" feel of this photo. I wonder if he made the right move... ?

Bob Scotney said...

I'm late too. You can blame the Open golf. My post features different types of players.

L. D. said...

I am late to some and right on time for me. Better for me to get myself organized and back on task to post. I don't want to miss out on all the fun.

Kristin said...

It's still Saturday so I'm right on time. A Whist party with my Aunt Barbara present.

Doctor FTSE said...

It's Sunday here, so I'm a bit behind events. Thanks Kat and Alan for this happy blog.

Doctor FTSE said...

Kat or Alan . . . sorry folks, Linky 31 takes readers to the wrong post! I must be going cross-eyed. Can 31 be removed?