Friday 17 January 2020

Sepia Saturday 503 : Saturday 18 January 2020


Few things can beat getting out into the fresh air and feeding the swans. It doesn't matter that, here in the northern hemisphere, it is in the middle of winter and the river is as likely to be frozen over as populated by a merry band of bobbing ducks and swans. It is the theme that we are celebrating, not the reality. That theme can be rivers, ducks, swans, bridges, ladies in pudding hats ... or the eternal connection between humans and animals. The theme photograph - like all the January theme photos - comes from my own collection of unknown and unclaimed old photographs. If there is a back story to it, it is the one you invent for yourselves. 

As usual, simply post an old photograph, which may (or may not) match the theme image, on or around Saturday 18th January 2020 and add a link to the list below. And if you have any time left, you might want to feed the swans .... or, alternatively, give a thought or two to the next couple of Sepia Saturday challenges.




9 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

My thanks - not for the first time - to Barbara Rogers for reminding me that I hadn't put this weeks post up. Better late than never.

Molly's Canopy said...

Coaxing family history records out of the stacks is a bit like gathering ducks! This week: Researching my maternal immigrant ancestors from Gloversville, N.Y.

Anne Young said...

This week's prompts had my head spinning with lots of ideas, including advising against feeding the swans as it isn't good for them and it makes them aggressive. I settled on the arrival of some of my forebears in 1838 to the Swan River Colony - I wonder what they made of the black swans.

Barbara Rogers said...

While trolling my own old photos, I suddenly remembered a FaceBook page that I'd "Liked" and was supposedly following. Nothing has appeared for months from them in my FB which I read several times a day...so I went to the original source, and this is what I found. If you do FB, have you noticed the lack of some friend's being posted, and more ads? Not fun. But here on SS there are no ads, and very interesting and diverse posts! Thanks Alan!

La Nightingail said...

Swans, ducks, geese, faux birds, big birds, tiny birds, pet birds - I gotta them all!

Wendy said...

Fake swans and real swans

virginiaallain said...

The closest I could come was a photo of my grandmother feeding the chickens.

Mike Brubaker said...

I've chosen to go off the theme this weekend as I have no swans in my photo collection. Instead I have the first part of a photo series about three musical sisters. Be patient for the surprise at the end.

Liz Needle said...

I just love the way they used to dress even for such casual things as feeding the swans.