Wednesday 26 March 2014

Sepia Saturday 221 : 29 March 2014


When I previewed this Sepia theme image a few weeks ago I suggested "floods, water, weather, floating cars and sepia skies" as possible interpretations. Looking back at this list now, I have to say that I, for one, am heartily sick of the first four on the list and I suspect the last suggestion is somewhat inaccurate. Those aren't sepia skies they are a kind of faded pink skies. But here at Sepia Saturday there is no such thing as a mistake, merely a new potential interpretation. So you can add to the list strange tints and colours in old photographs. I chose this particular photograph for a theme because it comes from a new contributor to Flickr Commons - the Provincial Archives of Alberta, Canada. Lovers of old photographs everywhere should celebrate every time museums, archives and galleries add their digitised image collection to Flickr for the free enjoyment of everyone rather that burying them within a barbed-wire corset of copyright laws. The photograph shows a barge moving cars to dry land during the waterways floods of 1936. Whatever your interpretation of the image all you have to do is to post a post on or around Saturday  29 March 2014 and then link to the list below. Before you put your wellies on and wade into this week's post, take a look at what is to come over the next couple of weeks:-


222 - 5 April 2014 : Our image features a couple of guys who look like they live dangerously. So our theme could point you in the direction of dangerous activities of all types


223 - 12 April 2014 : I was quite taken with the idea of a quartet of photographs displayed together, but you might want to focus on home town or hotels or main streets or even Tasmania

That is what awaits you when the flood waters of your current challenge eventually fall. But, for now, go with the flow and join us with Sepia Saturday 221.


22 comments:

La Nightingail said...

Sorry, but I was all set to go ere the prompt description got changed a bit.

Postcardy said...

I have postcards of a railway barge.

Barbara Rogers said...

Cars in the picture, mainly just as backgrounds, but one was saved all by itself somehow in the family archives.

Rosie said...

Some floods and a fire thrown in for good measure.

Brett Payne said...

I have a barge too, in fact a couple of them.

Wendy said...

A flood in my ancestors' hometown

Jofeath said...

How a man made lake was created from a natural flood plain

Anonymous said...

My contribution is a flood story too. Hope I've got the links working properly this week.

Mike Brubaker said...

Another perfect inspiration for me to write a special story about an old musician on the waterways.

Kristin said...

A flood, but not in sepia.

Unknown said...

The flood of 1936 hit New England, too!

DougVernX said...

No I'm not singing a song for you all in my post. Sorry!

Tattered and Lost said...

The floods are coming, that's for sure. That's about as good as a prediction I can muster.

I hope to someday again be added to the roll call to the right.

Alan Burnett said...

I went digging for a picture with some water - and came up with something in a can

Anonymous said...

I hope when you finally reach the flood in my story it is not too much of an anticlimax.

ScotSue said...

Photos of a 1970's flood in the Scottish Borders

La Nightingail said...

Just adding a little something extra.

Alex Daw said...

Not flooded with images for once in my life.

Jackie van Bergen said...

Late again, but not as late as last week.
Some great photos from a glass negative collection of Victorian floods.

Boobook said...

I've gone from my usual single photo to a flood of photos.

Unknown said...

"Sepia Saturday" has been included in the A Sunday Drive for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point even more new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/03/a-sunday-drive_30.html

anyjazz said...

Floods and flood damage. Not a happy subject.