Tuesday 3 May 2011

Sepia Saturday 73 : Saturday 7th May 2011

Photo : Swedish National Heritage Board via Flickr Commons
We seem to have been celebrating marriage recently so how about this happy couple. No handsome prince of the royal blood, he : no fresh-faced beauty, her. This is Mr and Mrs Samuelsson, of Stigåsa, Småland, Sweden. The photograph was taken in 1932 when he was 75 years old and she was - well, who knows. For the "themers" amongst us, themes abound : couples, old age, beards or even Mrs Samuelson's missing teeth. For the rest, post any old picture you want and join in with Sepia Saturday 73 which will take place on or around Saturday 7th May. Young or old come along and join in.
SEPIA SATURDAY is a weekly meme which encourages bloggers to publish and share old images and photographs. All that is required is for contributors to post an old image (it doesn't have to be in sepia) and provide a few words in explanation. If you could provide a link back to the Sepia Saturday Blog and visit as many of the other contributors as you can, it would also be appreciated. There is no weekly theme, as such, but some people like to use the archive image published with the weekly call as a kind of theme. There is no requirement to adopt such an approach : the choice of image is entirely up to you. Once you have published your Sepia Saturday post, add a link to that post to the Linky List published each week and leave a comment to let everyone know you are joining in.

29 comments:

Linda Gartz said...

Despite their age, missing teeth and wrinkled visages, I can see how beautiful and handsome these two were in their youth. They also seem very happy -- probably married about 50 years -- or could it be a new romance? Who knows, but my guess is they probably worked very hard and made a life together.

Rosie said...

Sweet the way they are holding hands........I guess it is never too late to find true love.

Kristin said...

Lovely photo! I posted two of my grandparents. One from 1958 when they were both 70 and had been married 39 years and one from 1941.

Bob Scotney said...

I can match this part with a couple I found on the internet.

Alf and Lily Creations said...

Great photo, Ive posted early this week ..again lol Karen

Rosie said...

Looking forward to seeing all the entries as I missed most of them last week.

Postcardy said...

I have some famous friends, and one of them has a beard.

Christine H. said...

I like this couple. I didn't stick with the theme though. Instead, I have a mother and son for Mother's Day.

Brett Payne said...

It might have been acceptable in the 1930s and in the great outdoors, but would have been frowned on in the studios of their youth. Looking forward to seeing everyone's entries this week, and reading your responses - they are just as much part of the excursion, aren't they.

dakotaboo said...

Have stuck with the beard theme - although nowhere near as impressive as Alan's offering.

DougVernX said...

I'm sticking with the theme of "couple" this week.

Little Nell said...

I've gone for the beard theme too. The one here takes some beating though!

Mike Brubaker said...

I am so ON THEME this weekend it may be cosmic. Thanks Alan.

Anonymous said...

Not a themer this week except my photo is from another country. I have an 1860 vintage CdV of a fellow from Edinburgh Scotland. Can't wait to get around to the other entries. See you all soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob Scotney, I think you link takes us to last week's post about the clocks. Unless I am the one mixed up.

L. D. said...

It is a wonderful photograph.

Brett Payne said...

No one else seems to have noticed their hands - they're enormous!

Howard said...

Lovely picture Alan. My post this week is four old postcards of the same street compared to today.

Unknown said...

Well you know us Kentucky folks, all we know the first Saturday in May is Derby, derby, mint julips, beautiful hats and derby derby derby.
QMM

Unknown said...

I will be up shortly, not really following the theme though as it is a special time here.

Anonymous said...

They have such character. And what a sweet touch to be holding hands. My post fits in with the marriage & couple theme. It also celebrates Mother's Day : )

Margaret said...

His eyebrows are as bushy as his beard! And it looks like she has her apron on. She was probably in the middle of preparing dinner when he came to get her for the photo. Just lovely. I continued my grandmother's Yellowstone Journal. Thank you for hosting! :)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

I love your picture! It is one of those ones that is with 1000 words. I'm a themer this week and did family weddings. Take care and Happy Sepia Saturday!

Kathy M.

21 Wits said...

What a lovely couple you have given us for this week's theme....they are to me a fine example of love and hard work....look at the size of his hands and hers, they appear to be almost just as worn...and big.....I can so imagine the yummy cooking that was served on their table! Thanks Alan! Have a delightful weekend and Mother's Day celebration in all that you do!

Unknown said...

Love the photo you picked for this week, I'm going with the Couples Theme.

MuseSwings said...

Lovely! You photo immediately reminded me of a picture of my Great Grandparents. So I'm with you on the old couples theme!

Legacy of Love said...

Incredible photo! Don't you love the old Swedish photos, especially of the cute older people!

Happy Mother's Day!

Jinksy said...

My mind is playing tricks on me...

Jinksy said...

And my spelling. Sorry if the link doesn't work because I corrected a typo!