Tuesday 3 March 2015

Sepia Saturday 269 : 7th March 2015


Ladies and Gentlemen, take your partners for the next dance at the Annual Sepia Ball. It is the ever popular polka and we will be dancing to that old favourite, the Violet Polka (which you might also notice is also called the Adelaide Polka). If you are not familiar with the dance, the steps are quite simple. Search for an old photograph which somehow connects with the theme image (think music, dance, polkas, violets .... think anything). Post it to a blog post and say something about it. Publish the post on or around Saturday 7th March 2015 and then link it to the list below. Simple as one, two, three, skip. Our theme image this week comes from collection of the Jerwood Library of the Performing Arts, just one of the splendid institutions that make their photographic collections available via Flickr.

Before we start dancing, take a look at what is on our dance cards for the next couple of weeks.


270 : Puppies / Air Crew / Hugs


271 : Horses / Rivers / Drinking

Don't worry about such things now. I can hear the band beginning to strike up. Take your partners please for the Sepia Polka.




18 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

A complete loss of resources on this topic brings me back to sharing about one of my ancestors, to create an archive here for myself and my descendents. Dear Sepians, I apologize.

Little Nell said...

Inspired by a visit to a museum; a sepia image and some sheet music in a glass case.

La Nightingail said...

O my goodness, I don't feel ashamie, this week's prompt is right down my vocal alley!

tony said...

Some interesting links to a site that shares old slides from the 50's & 60's

Anne Young said...

I am well behind in my blogging :( . I looked without success for pictorial inspiration to write about dances; I have blogged before about a children's ball (http://ayfamilyhistory.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/trove-tuesday-kathleen-cavenagh-dressed.html ). I have been meaning to write about Martha before and have enjoyed seeing her pictures when visiting the Art Gallery of South Australia. Although there was probably not much dancing, there is an Adelaide connection ;)

Wendy said...

One dance photo but not much about dancing ~

Jofeath said...

No sepia from me this week, but a collage in many shades of violet.

DougVernX said...

My blog is alive with the sound of music. Wait... is that a song?

violet s said...

I had to google Violet Polka. Found it to be more toe tapping than dancing music! Maybe it's my decreased energy level?

Anonymous said...

I've got a mystery name, a hint at a location, and some Latin American polka, and somehow it all ties together.

Rosie said...

It's always time for tea! One lump or two?

Anonymous said...

Polkas with a Geelong connection

Mike Brubaker said...

I don't know what the problem is but Mr. Linky is not here this evening!!!! In fact the whole Sepia Saturday webpage seems slow.

None the less, I can see that my post is on the side bar list so maybe everyone can use that, or copy/paste the link below.

http://temposenzatempo.blogspot.com/2015/03/miss-oda-rudolph-trombone-soloist.html

Unknown said...

Sheet music -- and Patti Page!

Mike Brubaker said...

Mr. Linky is back this morning. Hurrah!

I've posted a story about a lady trombonist who I'm sure knew a thing or two about Polkas.

Kristin said...

No polkas. About finding an article that told me where my great grandmother is buried. At least the town. Now just to find the cemetery.

Alan Burnett said...

Some serious music from me straight out of "The Music Lovers' Portfolio Of The World's Best Music"

21 Wits said...

My post this week is about a Minnesota Ghost Town.