Tuesday 12 April 2011

Sepia Saturday 70 : 16th April 2011

Netherlands Nationaal Archief via Flickr Commons
First of all an apology to those taking part in Sepia Saturday 69 because I did not manage to get around and visit everyone. Things just began to stack up last weekend and my schedule fell to pieces. Hopefully things will be better this week. And now on to Sepia Saturday 70 and a challenge to those of you who like to identify and follow themes, for here we have a 1910 photograph of President Theodore Roosevelt riding a camel! The photograph comes from the collection of the Dutch National Archives that are featured on Flickr Commons. Do with it as you will all you themers : politicians, camels, Egypt  - the list is as endless as the desert sands. As always you don't have to follow any theme you may or may not identify - just post an old picture and tell us something about it. Sepia Saturday 70 will take place on or around Saturday 16th April so climb on board, settle down between the humps and enjoy the ride.
SEPIA SATURDAY is a weekly meme which encourages bloggers to publish and share old images and photographs. All that is required is for contributors to post an old image (it doesn't have to be in sepia) and provide a few words in explanation. If you could provide a link back to the Sepia Saturday Blog and visit as many of the other contributors as you can, it would also be appreciated. There is no weekly theme, as such, but some people like to use the archive image published with the weekly call as a kind of theme. There is no requirement to adopt such an approach : the choice of image is entirely up to you. Once you have published your Sepia Saturday post, add a link to that post to the Linky List published each week and leave a comment to let everyone know you are joining in.

21 comments:

dakotaboo said...

I'm staying on theme this week. In fact I think I may have covered all parts of the theme ... camel, Egypt, politics ... but it seems Mr Linky is not playing nicely this morning. I've either posted multiple times or not at all.

Postcardy said...

I have camels, but no riders.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi! I went with President Herbert Hoover and a spot he enjoyed fishing: The McKenzie River Valley of Oregon. Thanks so much, I enjoyed your camel pic and story. Happy Sepia Saturday!

Kathy M.

Jinksy said...

As usual, I rummaged through my ocmputer files until a picture 'spoke' to me! But not in camel language...

Jinksy said...

"ocmputer files"? Wow - never knew I had any of those! Hehehe! Perhaps the camel language got to me after all!

tony said...

I am being a good soldier this week! I've even managed (just!) to theme it!

Alan Burnett said...

Not on theme (who chooses these bloody themes anyway?) but at least I am early this week and that means I should have time to visit everyone else.

Christine H. said...

Camels? Did someone mention camels?

North County Film Club said...

Thanks, Allan, I've been waiting for a theme of someone riding a camel !

Unknown said...

I'll be there with something, don"t know what yet and my schedule is running overload

DougVernX said...

All you Scotsman put on your kilts for my post!

Anonymous said...

The closest I can get to the theme is 20th century and possibly international. :-) I have a small Japanese girl in kimono that has been hand tinted. Looking forward to seeing all the posts!

Anonymous said...

I should be studying, but I could not resist this week's prompt!! I'm sharing camels, Egypt and grandparents. Please don't be offended if I don't make it all the way around for at least a few days - I'll get there eventually.

Howard said...

no camels from me! though I'm looking forward to see what others have posted.

Brett Payne said...

Another slavish theme follower here ...

Bruno Laliberté said...

sort of a themer. sort of, i said!!...
:)~
HUGZ

Unknown said...

I have finally got you figured out Alan. I went to your main blog and saw the man and did a post about my man, not realizing I was not looking at SS. Well any way mine is up and my man was about as daredevil as TR. I just recently read a bio about TR and he was absolutely amazing. Quite adventurous. This is a great picture. Reminds me of my favorite movie "Lawrence of Arabia."
QMM

Anonymous said...

Did not stay on the theme...due to another blogger's excellent recommendation of a book, I have been focused on dating some of the many unlabeled sepia photos handed down by my great-grandmother.

So that's what my entry is about.

Sean Bentley said...

There's a great concept in the movie "Repo Man": "Plate o' Shrimp." Essentially it's about synchronicity but if you can Google a video of that scene I recommend it. Anyway TR brings it to mind because oddly I am reading about him at the moment...one book blasts him as an Aryan-minded capitalist imperialist and the other one idolizes him as a gallant preserver of the US wilderness. I suppose both are true. Anyway here he is on a camel. Weird..

Mike Brubaker said...

Not on theme this weekend either. I can appreciate Presidents but geez, who collects photos of Camels? Wait, let me Google that!

Anonymous said...

I heard that my link was returning an error so I have posted an alternate link above. Thanks!