Thursday 2 December 2010

Sepia Saturday : Week 52


If you recall, last week I set out from West Yorkshire on a virtual tour of World Image Archives. This week I have reached Glasgow and I am stopping off at the Glasgow City Council's Mitchell Library, or rather its digital counterpart "Virtual Mitchell". My chosen image dates from 1939 and shows a group of shops in Kilmarnock Road. Several people last week asked about the copyright implications of using archive images in Blogs. Most collections will have advice on copyright issues on their sites and if not an inquiry normally brings a rapid response. In most cases public collections will be happy for you to use material as long as it is for a non-profit making site and the source is acknowledged. This was the case with "Virtual Mitchell" and I thank them for their co-operation.

Sepia Saturday 52 will take place on or around Saturday 4th December 2010. You can join in by posting your images and text and linking them to the list below.

16 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

I'm filling in some missing pieces - literally, this week!

Kat

dakotaboo said...

Great picture of Glasgow Alan - bet it doesn't look quite like that now.

Just uploaded my Sepia Saturday offering.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Gosh what a great picture. They were my favoured car. All the cars today look-alike compared to the cars back then. You knew instantly what they were. Is this an M.G.? That is my guess anyway.

Alan Burnett said...

It is still thick of snow outside and temperatures in Yorkshire fell to -19c last night. I need summer, I need sun, and I need a sepia sea. So off to Blue Anchor.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Shops and cars looked vastly different, I like it, I am very nostalgic.

Marilyn & Jeff said...

It's all about me this time!

tony said...

Another Video ! Back to photos next week,I promise! Stay Warm Folks!

Pat said...

I made it wih several hours spent scanning and deciding what to post...no me in these...Alan, I hope you post a current photo of the same spot--then and now??

Kristin said...

Two people I don't know from a family album this week.

L. D. said...

That is a marvelous photo. It is an amazing thing to see it such clear detail. I am thinking I need to regroup my blog so that it is in the sections to keep the mom's side and the dad,s side separated from each other. Believe you and me, I don't know how to do it without creating two blogs. That is not going to happen, never mind.

Sean Bentley said...

Okay, last episode, methinks, of the Blumenfeld saga is posted!

Tattered and Lost said...

An unknown couple along a path. That's as much as I know.

And congrats to L. D. Burgus for being Blog of Note!

Bruno Laliberté said...

DONE!! and i am actually counting on you folks to tell me what these "mini postcards" are for, since obviously, they can't be actual postcards. i show enlarged versions of them for your enjoyement, but i do mention their actual size. hoping for an answer...
:)~
HUGZ

Your Genetic Genealogist said...

Finally got it up! In my post I work on dating and identifying a photo. All comments/help are welcome and encouraged!

FireLight said...

Alan, thank you for this most valuable information. I was late...but I did contribute this week!

Kristin said...

A snowy day in Springfield, Massachusetts in 1949