Thursday 9 December 2010

Sepia Saturday 53

Continuing my tour of on-line archives of old images, I have moved from Glasgow to Edinburgh (Luckily this is a virtual tour otherwise I suspect I would still be stuck in my car in the three foot of snow that has fallen on the M8) The above photograph dates all the way back to 1863 and shows the interior of Mar Lodge, near Braemar in Scotland. The National Galleries of Scotland (NGS) website contains the following description of the photograph which was taken by Victor Albert Prout.


"The Prince and Princess of Wales first attended the Braemar Gathering in 1863. The event is held on the first Saturday in September to this day. Large crowds gather to celebrate their Monarch as Chieftain of the gathering where pipe music, dance and games make for a wonderful atmosphere. On that occasion, the royal couple stopped at Mar Lodge, the Highland residence of the Earl and Countess of Fife. The royals only stayed three days, but their hosts were evidently exhausted, as they are shown here slumped in the armchairs in their drawing room, soon after their visitors left".

This particular photograph is one of the NGS's contribution to the Flickr Commons project. This wonderful service provides a repository for old images for which there are no known copyright restrictions. After tip-toeing through the maze that can be copyright for bloggers, it is a delight to find a stock of images that can be appreciated for their interest and beauty rather than their money-making potential.

So like the Earl and Countess of Fife, sit back in your armchairs and flick through your old photographs and choose one of them to share with everyone else on Sepia Saturday 53 which will take place on or around 11th December 2010. Like the Good Earl himself, just sign up on the Linkey List below.

20 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

I've posted a modern photo with links to an 1819 shop.

dakotaboo said...

I have a busy weekend ahead of me so have shared this week's Sepia Saturday offering a little early.

DougVernX said...

Stay warm fellow Sepia Saturday readers. :)

Unknown said...

I like the way you are doing your posts. Great story.
QMM

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Just a short entry today.

Anonymous said...

I have a photo of my mother and her family when she was a child, holding her breath in the photo and looking a lot like me. :-)

Bruno Laliberté said...

DONE!! TRAIN, PLANE BUT NO AUTOMOBILE!!!
will visit as soon as i can!!
:)~
HUGZ

L. D. said...

Better getting it posted late on the day rather than never. I didn't have time to scan so I am pulling from my photo archives of things not used before now.

Kristin said...

i thought i did this today but don't see myself up there. well, it's a snowy post from yeteryear.

Sean Bentley said...

Kicking off my weekend with the next chapter of my dad's story about Uncle Clyde Bentley. Looking forward to cruising the other sepia...

North County Film Club said...

What a great place to lounge!

Your Genetic Genealogist said...

Another photo from Great Aunt Cleo's album c.1920. Not a lot of luck this week with my research, so it is a short one. Thanks for reading and commenting. I always really enjoy all of your input.

Unknown said...

no time to pos this week but I am reading and enjoying.

Bob Scotney said...

Help wanted please. I have wanted to comment on a number of Sepia Saturday posts. But the blog owner has a system for which I need their email address to send a post. Other people have commented successfully on the posts in question, How have you done this?

Bruno Laliberté said...

@ BOB SCOTNEY:
i believe these would be users of LIVE JOURNAL or other. subscribe to follow-up comments and when you receive in your email inbox the confirming message, say you confirm and you'll read all messages, including yours, and further comment if need be. i've had no problem posting on those...
I ALSO NEED HELP/INFO:
ALAN, does SEPIA SATURDAY gets published during the holidays??? i don't know, it's my first year...
:)~
HUGZ

Bob Scotney said...

Thanks Ticklebear; I have sorted my problem it was just a senior moment!

Bruno Laliberté said...

oops!!
something for me to look forward to, a senior moment...
well said though!!
:D~
god knows i'm not yet "senior" but turning golden (50) in just a few months... and i already have lapses. this should be promising for later...
:D~
HUGZ

Kat Mortensen said...

It has been a truly mad week! My brother-in-law passed away last weekend at the young age of 53, our house-sale closed today (Friday) and our car conked out in the middle of the week! Needless to say, I'm at sixes and sevens and as much as I had hoped to post for Sepia Saturday, I find I'm less than inclined to do so. Sorry.

I'll do better in the future. I promise.

Kat

Bruno Laliberté said...

@ KAT MERTENSEN:
life prevails over the web. you do your things and we'll be waiting for your return, whenever you feel ready.
my condoleances/

HUGZ

Far Side of Fifty said...

Alan, This is a wonderful photograph..I really enjoyed it..the curtain and the chairs have such busy fabric..and then with all the hunting trophies on the wall..very fun photo! :)